1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Single color (red) in Black & White photo

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gs94121, May 16, 2013.

1. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Help, does anyone have an experience on exposing and/or processing this photo showing black & white photo with red telephone booth or double-decker bus in London ? Is this easy to make from Oly OM-D camera with post-processing from software ?

The photo sample is enclosed for your review.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have tried in LR only, and was unable to get perfect results. What I had tried was reducing the saturation of all of the other colors besides the one I wanted. Usually, there was a bit of color somewhere else in the photo, ruining the effect. What I have done is export to Photoshop ( or any other program using layers) and then put one of them over the other. I then slowly use the layer tool to hide/reveal the BW/Color. I generally adjust the size of the brush, and zoom in quite a bit for the finicky edges. This is how I did the photo below.

tumblr_mlej0jL6UU1rkpvlwo1_500.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Selective colorization can also be done using the Nik editing software (cant remember if its Colour FX or Viveza).

4. casiodave

casiodave New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2012
    Corel After Shot Pro

In ASP
    One spot color B&W plugin
    It takes about one click too.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have done a few this way. I simply used the saturation sliders in Lightroom and desaturated all the colors I did not want. Here are a couple I did from my trip to Epcot.

FrenchWindowBlue-small. ChineseBalcony-small.

This one is a similar idea but different. I used the brush and separated the foreground statue from the back ground and then desaturated the background.

epcot2-teutonicknight-small.

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Selective color can be done easily with Nik silver efex also.

7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I did this when getting to know the free program Gimp.

sparky-small.

Select around the eyes. Copy selection to new layer. Make the original layer monochrome. Done!
    I'm quite pleased it did well in a recent DPReview competition.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The way I would have done this in the past{before I had LR} was to select what I wanted to keep color and then paste it into a new layer using Photoshop. Then I could very easily convert the background layer to B&W leaving the color layer. This method is better but it does require the right software and a bit more work. I have never used Gimp but the selection tools in PS{inc. Elements} have gotten very powerful the last few versions.

Looking at the London bus picture I am sure they used this method as all the colors of the bus are intact, not just the red. If you look the white details of the bus have a very slight warm tinge different from the whites of the background that are neutral.

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    question: do you use a particular software for your post processing already?
    as you can see, this can be achieved with the various software that were mentioned here.

here's one I did with Aperture using brushes

7214787110_7810d27afc_b.
    Different by rpamparo, on Flickr

10. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes, identical to my: "Select around the eyes. Copy selection to new layer. Make the original layer monochrome."

I left the cats eyes in colour too. Similar to the bus being in colour. I experimented changing the hue of the eye which was quite stunning. But colour worked slightly better.

Photoshop surely has things Gimp does not have. But Gimp is still a worthy contender if you haven't yet invested in another program. And they are doing "Two for one" at the moment.

Stop Press: Today DPReview is headlinging 10 Photo Editing Programs (that aren't Photoshop) Obviously responding to the widespread revolt.

11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    You've lost me here - GIMP is FREE, what is the "Two for One"?

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes I'm sorry. I wrote that to manipulate someone into pointing that out!

But you can still download it twice!

13. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Ah, if there had been a "grin" smiley at the end I would have got it :biggrin:

and you're sort of right anyway, I did download it twice; I have the stable 2.8.4 version, and I'm also trying out the dev version 2.9.1 alongside it for the 16 & 32-bit capabilities.

14. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    There are quite a few way to do this. All involve some form of masking around the area to have in color. It's the masking that is difficult to do well. The B&W conversion can be done by any of your pet methods.

My preferred method is to use Photoshop and LR:

1. Process the RAW image (I always do my quality art images in RAW) in LR in color to get the best overall tonal range and best color on the portion to be left in color. Even if the original is a JPEG for some reason I still start in LR.
    2. Export from LR to PS
    3. Select the area to remain in color using whatever selection method is appropriate.
    4. Invert the selection
    5. Create a Channel Mixer adjustment layer. PS will automatically convert the selection from step 4 into a layer mask.
    6. Click the "monochrome" checkbox on the adjustment layer's panel and adjust the sliders to get the best B&W effect.
    7. Use whatever editing tools are appropriate, usually the Paint brush, to refine the layer mask.

With this method you can retain the most adjustment and tweaking. You can substitue a HSL layer for the Color Mixer to simply desaturate the color to get the B&W image. Color Mixer, though, provides more control. You can also omit steps 3-4 and simply paint the mask from scratch in step 7 but I prefer to have a rudimentary mask in place while I adjust the B&W conversion so I can better see the tonal relationships.

In the past with simpler editing tools, I've simply created a duplicate layer, converted the underlying layer to B&W, and then erased the portions of the top color layer to leave only the desired color object. This works, but leaves far less adjustment later.

15. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  16. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks to y'all for your help on B/W with selected color layer (like London bus).

17. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Casiodave,

I bought Corel's After Shot Pro and still deciphering on how to create B/W photo with selected color (like London bus, above). I always start with RAW photo and could you give me step-by-step on how to use B/W Plug-ins for creating color layer on full B/W photo. Thanks George

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex pro - col in B&W

Nik Silver Efex pro offers a simple to use and effective way to convert from col to B&W and have certain elements in the image retain their original colour - works well if used carefully.

Baseball.

19. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've always liked seeing images like these, and I believe my GF5 can do it internal, but I've never messed with it. Maybe now that I have a growing library of images I've taken I'll start exploring.

Hope you don't mind a comment on your image, it's neat, but I would of colorized the reflection too, because as is it feels off.