Single coating legacy lens + hoods?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by KS11, Dec 27, 2012.

1. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Hi all,

Have a quick question for you all, if I had a single coating lens, does it help to use a hood to offset the difference between the SC vs MC lenses?

As in would a hood offset the single coating's weakness in terms of contrast/colour/flaring etc with the same lens with multi coating?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not completely.
  3. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I had a Voigtländer 40mm 1.4 s.c. Which i used with a nex 5n. With the hood on I didn't notice any flares and the contrast was pretty good as well. Of course no hood can help when you shoot directly into the light. When shooting into the sun, the s.c. will look distinctly different than the m.c. Version.
    But then, this difference was quite precisely what I bought this lens for. the look was absolutely lovely.
  4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Thanks for the replies,

I was asking because I was interested in either the smc vs super takumar version of the Pentax lenses. If there is not much difference in terms I rendering or if the disadvantages of a single coating can be offset by a hood I rather save a few dollars and get a sc version.

(Also I heard something about single coating lenses doing b&w really well)
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Think contrast and color.

SMC coatings came around the time when color negative emerged in popularity. This is when you wanted higher contrast and color reproduction (more saturation depending on negative chosen).

Pre-SMC lenses were really designed around B&W photography. Often the opposite was preferred.... lower contrast (allowing for more flexibility in the darkroom). Since they were working in B&W, color reproduction was a non-issue but not necessarily ideal for color.

Also... Some later Super-Takumars are indeed SMC coatings.

Fortunately, much can be easily corrected in post in the digital world. So there's a re-emergence of popularity in these older lenses.

Hence... my answer

"Not Completely"
    • Like Like x 1