Singaporean Travels

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dbrantley13, Aug 25, 2012.

1. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Hi folks,

It seems a bit redundant to reshare photos to be viewed directly on the site, but I do want to share my blog and photos from Singapore with you. I've made three entries so far in Singapore, all of which have been (and will continue to be) photo heavy.

I'm traveling with my OM-D and seem to be relying mostly on the 20mm f1.7, some on the 12-50mm (for the wide angle and macro) and my newly acquired 45mm f1.8 (so new, actually, that none of the photos I've shared were taken after I bought it in Sim Lim Square).

Singapore is an amazing, amazing city, and I hope my blog can do it a little bit of justice in that sense.

Please don't hesitate to leave me feedback, good or bad, as I will appreciate it regardless.

It can be found here or in my signature.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My two favorite things from my very brief visit to Singapore - the national botanic garden and the airport.

Yes, you read that right. Be sure to show up a few hours extra early to see all the gardens, waterfalls, butterfly pavilion, and other "attractions" inside the airport.

Pictures are at link below
  3. G'kar

G'kar Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2010
    Hi Dan and Troy, glad you both enjoyed your visits to Singapore. Yes, the weather can be atrocious at this time of the year especially for caucasians who are not used to our hot and humid climate. A better time to visit would be in late December and January where it is relatively cooler.

As to how expatriates can afford to live in Singapore: well, those in the top-end of management like CEOs and Chairmen will usually have big fat allowances, so they don't have to worry very much. Even their children's schooling is taken care of by their company. For those lower on the totem pole, they just take the local package, rent an apartment in a condominium or even in our public housing apartments (which you must have seen in your visit to Chinatown) and live like other Singaporeans.

It is not as expensive as it is made out to be unless, of course, you want to travel in a car (which I admit the cost is prohibitive; but then we are spared the horrendus traffic snarls in other cities such as Jakarta, KL or Bangkok). Public transport is relatively cheap and convenient.

As to how Singaporeans can afford expensive housing? Well, we work our butts off and most of us have 20 to 30 year mortgages!

Hope you will have the opportunity to visit Singapore again.

Cheers from sunny Singapore:th_salute:

BTW, your photos are nice.