Singapore night shots

mesmerized

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello there!

Yesterday I took this picture and I'd like to ask for your suggestions what could be improved composition-wise and exposure-wise. A few bits and pieces of information:

- It was taken with the camera mounted on a tripod (E-M5m2 + 12-40 f/2.8 + Manfrotto BeFree) IS was off
- I took 3 similar shots. One at f/5.6, another one at f/8, and the last one at f/11. The lights have more of a starry effect at f/8 and f/11.
- I'm uploading the first one first. Will add the last two a bit later.
- Changes made in Lightroom are: straightened the whole scene; Lightroom wanted to boost exposure by +0.80 but I brought it back to zero while letting all the other values be changed (highlights -5, shadows +5, whites +4, blacks -23) Looks like some sharpness has been added, too. I'm not good at Lightroom, so I tend to rely on the auto settings
- The second version has been cropped. I feel that there's quite a lot of water in the original, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm not good at taking pictures of cities. Not sure if I should add saturation, change exposure, reduce highlights... add contrast... change AWB.

Oh, and for some reason, the JPG's seem to lack a bit of sharpness (?) I exported them using Lightroom and set the quality at the maximum.

Thank you for all suggestions and comments.

Singapore_5.6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cropped version

Singapore_5.6cropped.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EXIF
Image Description OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model Name E-M5MarkII
Software Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.0 (Windows)
Exposure Time 1.6
F Number 5.60
Exposure Program Program AE
ISO 200
Sensitivity Type Standard Output Sensitivity
Shutter Speed Value 1.6
Aperture Value 5.60
Exposure Compensation 0
Max Aperture Value 2.8
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Light Source Unknown
Flash On, Did not fire
Focal Length 12.0 mm
Color Space sRGB
CFA Pattern [Red,Green][Green,Blue]
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio 1
Focal Length In 35mm Format 24 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Gain Control Low gain up
Contrast Normal
Lens Model OLYMPUS M.12-40mm F2.8
Compression JPEG (old-style)
White Balance Auto
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal

mesmerized

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks comment23! Well... I'm a very inexperienced shooter... And this is the first time I took pictures of Singapore at night... So... I'm kinda looking for the mistakes/faults/areas of improvement. Plus, I never know how far I can go in Lightroom when changing the values...

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Nice shots.
Some lights are overexposed, but it would be very hard to avoid.
I prefer #1 since IMO the composition is well-balanced, due to showing the entire reflections in the water.

mesmerized

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice shots.
Some lights are overexposed, but it would be very hard to avoid.
I prefer #1 since IMO the composition is well-balanced, due to showing the entire reflections in the water.

Thanks! Could you tell me how you'd try to avoid overexposing some of those lights? I was hoping I exposed the scene properly and the result is quite pleasing to my eyes, but perhaps I missed something in the process.

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Dear mesmerized,
as I wrote:
Very hard to avoid. And: I am not very good in this! That's why I agreed to the reply of comment23 :thiagree:
One method could be HDR, but as you know the results tend to look artificial.
One method could be to combine 2 shots in post processing, one of them exposed to the lights, one to the shadows,
and doing lot of work with masks and stuff.
One method would be underexposing, and then lighten up the shadows, but increasing noise.
May be you like to have a look here:
The tipps of course work not only with the Pen-F :dance2:
As I mentioned: I am no expert in mastering such difficult light situations :dance:

mesmerized

Mu-43 Veteran
Dear mesmerized,
as I wrote:
Very hard to avoid. And: I am not very good in this! That's why I agreed to the reply of comment23 :thiagree:
One method could be HDR, but as you know the results tend to look artificial.
One method could be to combine 2 shots in post processing, one of them exposed to the lights, one to the shadows,
and doing lot of work with masks and stuff.
One method would be underexposing, and then lighten up the shadows, but increasing noise.
May be you like to have a look here:
The tipps of course work not only with the Pen-F :dance2:
As I mentioned: I am no expert in mastering such difficult light situations :dance:

Thank you! Appreciate it a lot! The video is excellent and I'm going to check if he's got more :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom