1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Simplicity - one of the reasons I prefer my older m43 cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pellicle, Sep 13, 2018.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I just read this and it is a bit of how I feel after playing with any of the latest model cameras

Professor Blackler and her colleagues studied how 170 people used manuals for a range of complicated products, from dishwashers to universal remote controls.

They found most people chose not to read the manuals and instead learned by using the product.

Their study showed that people chose to buy a complicated product with many features even if they did not need all of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I am the technical person in the house, but only my wife knows how to program our Miele dishwasher and washing machine. Their instruction manuals are hard for me to follow.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    this supports the assertion of the professor:
    "The results also showed those with more education were less likely to read manuals. "They may be more able to use their knowledge and strategies to select only essential features they need," Professor Blackler said."

4. Errrrrrrm Duh! :rolleyes-38: They chose because it's likely that they have no choice. :confused-53: How many "uncomplicated" versions of products are actually on the market? I only use AV and manual but I have no choice when it comes to buying an "uncomplicated" camera as they simply don't exist and I am forced to buy the many complications that I will never use. Likewise, those food mixers..........my son wanted certain features but to get those features he could only buy one with 6 extra features that he'll never use................Likely those boffin researchers would conclude that he chose (preferred) to buy a more complicated one, when in reality, he had no choice when it came to buying the actual features that he wanted.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Was it Socrates (prolly spelt that wrong) who said, “so many things, that I don’t want “... or something like that.
    A wise old fella in his day.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    I thought I would be able to figure out a M5ii I just got....

Not a hope.
    Who would of thought that you couldn’t set focus bracketing in a my settings menu? Drove me nuts man.
    In the end, out with the manual...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Engineers here at work have an acronym for when things can't be figured out: R.T.F.M. (Read The F*ing Manual).
    But it's mostly "I will give it go" after unboxing

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

“Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”

Steve Jobs

• Like Like x 2
  9. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    my personal favorite camera I've ever owned

Hard to get simpler

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  10. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    I had one too!
    My first ever camera, easily my fav of all time.
    5 led’s! The tech of the day... :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Instamatic was simple.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    I've just leased a car, because my wife will only drive an auto box and the auto box is only fitted to the high end models of the range, we now have a load of features that we don't need. I guess it's the same as everything, I only use a handful of features in Photoshop and Affinity Photo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    YES! the second SLR I owned (Praktica MTL5 was the first, heavy as a lead brick). A brilliant piece of kit, so much so, I bought one last year: still to put a film through it though.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some people just go by the saying, "When all else fails, read the manual!" :rolleyes: 

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    ignore-fail-read-succeed-instruction-manual-very-wise-microwave-manual-15829241.

:cool: 

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I never, ever read the instruction manual as a first step. Rarely does it leave its package, honestly.

But I research the equipment that I buy extensively, learn what features it has that I want, and then actively seek out those features in the product once I begin to use it. If it's not immediately obvious how it works after some testing, then I will grudgingly download the PDF manual and Ctrl+F my way to the specific feature that I need help with.

For me, this is vastly more productive than reading a manual cover to cover like it's a novel.

I'm perhaps too young to be so set in my ways, but I confess that I've preferentially used the Microsoft operating systems for my entire life, I've used Android for my phones for the last 6-7 years, and I've used Panasonic M4/3 cameras for the last 5 years. I like the way all of those systems operate, they are intuitive to me (or, at least, I understand the depths of their counter-intuitiveness) and the competitive benefits that I might gain from switching never seem to outweigh the downsides.

17. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2018
    I think it is quite different - you have your first children and need a new washing machine to handle the larger loads. You cannot buy a washing machine that is simply bigger - it comes with loads of next-to-useless functions and is more complex but it does what you want quite intuitively. Same with photocopiers: you want something that is just simply faster. Nope - that faster machine comes with two sided copying and host of other things.
    etc
    etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It’s hard to balance simplicity with functionality, especially for a format like m4/3 that relies on its feature set to make up for the smaller sensor.

Olympus tried to satisfy this philosophy with the E-M10 MkIII. Small and convenient package, get rid of some very specialized functions no one would ever use on the camera, put all the advanced functions on their own mode with more of a walk-through type menu, while still improving the overall image quality and specs of the camera... In usual fashion, people hated it.

As for manuals, I always read them. They almost always could be better, no doubt, but I still find them very useful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I don't buy the premise of the thread. Newer cameras have more features, but the basics are the same. It's not like they hid the exposure controls just because they added 4K burst mode. If you don't want the new features, they will sit there unused, buried in their respective menus and the camera operates like an old one.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.