Simple tripod idea

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RVJ, Oct 3, 2015.

1. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
  2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Yes, it works. This idea has been around for quite some time, using just a string of the proper length, and tensioned against the bottom of one's shoe.
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I've "built" one but I used a small metal chain as I think that even a little elasticity in the cord defeats the purpose.
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've tried it a few times with paracord and spectra, paracord has a small amount of stretch and is nice and soft, Spectra has no real stretch. My gut feeling was that the minor amount of stretch didn't make a huge difference however the paracord felt much better on my hands and in my pocket.

It's was better than nothing as it dampens vertical movement however a monopod is almost always far more stable, a monopod doesn't fit in your pocket though. One trick was to go around my belt and back to my left hand rather than foot, it didn't change the amount of dampening much however it removed the trip hazard and let me adjust length easily.

In the end I didn't really use it all that much for the intended purpose however I still use something like it to tether my camera to me when I'm on boats - I'm a bit of a clutz and I would rather it doesn't go overboard.
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I keep something similar in my camera bag at all times. I had some old 1/16" dia. nylon cord around and used that.