Simple Lifestyle Product Photography

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Product photography doesn't always need to be on white. On white images are required by a number of e-commerce platforms, such as Amazon, and unfortunately, many clients assume it's the norm.

A lifestyle image can garner far more attention, simply because it looks different in a sea of white background images when searched for. Most customers tend to switch to “image search” in google, and that's where a lifestyle image can really pop. It doesn't necessarily have to take a great deal of “propping” to make a lifestyle image. Lisa, of Woo Creative, came up with the above, using nothing more than a pallet and some packing material. This was taken at the studio in Nelson, near Burnley, Lancashire.

Lighting the above scene was a little more challenging, as the pallet itself could cause issues with shadows. I made use of the gap at the side of the pallet, to accent the frame left sides of the bottle tops. The same light would also create the texture I was after in the wood along the back. I used an Elinchrom ELB 400, firing through a gridded 44cm beauty dish, with an output of 3.0 (Equivalent to 50Ws), frame left.

For my keylight, I used another ELB400, firing through an 80x80 folding softbox frame right. This was again at an output of 3.0 (Equivalent to 50Ws).

A fairly simple styled image (Don't tell Lisa I said that!), and simply lit. However, it'll hold interest far longer than a bottle of oil on white.

Olympus E-M1 mkII 1/125th sec ISO200 12-40mm f2.8 @ 6.3

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks again for an interesting take on how to light what first appears to be a basic image, but behind the image is some serious considerations about lighting. At least it seems that way to me since my idea of lighting is a single flash probably held in the wrong place.

I am always amazed how much work and consideration goes on to make what the customer thinks is straight forward image, but I suppose that is what it is meant to look like - natural. :thumbup:

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
Thanks again for an interesting take on how to light what first appears to be a basic image, but behind the image is some serious considerations about lighting. At least it seems that way to me since my idea of lighting is a single flash probably held in the wrong place.

I am always amazed how much work and consideration goes on to make what the customer thinks is straight forward image, but I suppose that is what it is meant to look like - natural. :thumbup:
You'd be surprised how often a client expects you to arrive, set up, photograph a dozen items or so, pack up and leave, all within an hour. Oh, and the dozen items? Various trucks, taken at three different angles.

:rofl:

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
Michael

I always appreciate your posts... but in this case have you and Lisa not missed the point a bit here.... Its not easy to read the product name !!!

:)

K
Not really. This was a header image for the site product page and also for use in their brochure.
There were still single products on white on the same page, as per usual as they were also made available through the regular ecommerce channels.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom