Simple, Free Image Editor for the Mac

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I want to be able to take images out of 2 different jpg files and put one on top of the other - in the same new image.

Seems simple, but I don't seem to have found a free software package that can do that. I have Lightroom but don't think it will do it.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
You could try the new Glimpse - its an overhaul/fork of GIMP and has support for layers. I always found the GIMP UI impenetrable so I'm hoping this is a little better. May do what you want with a little experimenting.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it doesn't work on a mac

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Doh! I saw Linux & Windows + I know GIMP exists on OS X so assumed it would be available. Shame. Looks like they suggest Seashore as a GIMP port to the Mac. Otherwise you could try GraphicConverter - the versions I've used were shareware with a timer/nag-screen but otherwise seemed fully functional. Also seems to support layers. Used to use it in the Classic and early OS X days for a lot of simple image manipulation tasks.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
it doesn't work on a mac
You can install VirtualBox virtualizer software on a Mac (it is free and there is a version for OS X). Then you have a new virtual computer that you can install with Linux and run any Linux native free software.
I know this is a somewhat chronophage project for someone that is not used to Linux and to virtual machines, but in these times of confination, it could make an interesting and rewarding project.

P.S. chronophage, from chronos, time and phagous, eating or consuming...

mcgruff

Mu-43 Regular
Gimp runs fine on a Mac. Just go to: http://gimp.org and you can download the dmg. No need for Mac Ports or brew.
Good luck with the interface.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I want to be able to take images out of 2 different jpg files and put one on top of the other - in the same new image.

Seems simple, but I don't seem to have found a free software package that can do that. I have Lightroom but don't think it will do it.
Are you trying to blend the images like for an HDR so both images are the same scene? Or are you trying to something like Oly's build in double exposure where two different images are combines with lighter part of one image showing up in the darker part of the other image? Or something completely different from those two?

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
No - 2 different images of different things. I just want to scale one image to fit and paste it in the other one. Very Simple. Graphic Converter seems like a disaster to me. No way to even sign up for their forum.

Want I want is something very very easy to learn and use for native mac OS...

Real Name
Lyle
I did a search for online collage makers -- befunky.com was the first hit. I spent a minute or two of fiddling around with it; it seems to do what you want:

No - 2 different images of different things. I just want to scale one image to fit and paste it in the other one. Very Simple. Graphic Converter seems like a disaster to me. No way to even sign up for their forum.

Want I want is something very very easy to learn and use for native mac OS...
I use Preview to do that all the time in my day gig. Here's a recent example where I screen grabbed an email window, pasted it into Preview, then went back to my email and screen grabbed the hover state, went back again to Preview, pasted it over top of the first one, then moved it into position. The arrow is one of Preview's annotation tools.

image.png

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
How did you open the hover text without putting borders etc. around it?

How did you open the hover text without putting borders etc. around it?
The hover is actually another window which can be captured using the spacebar after activating the screen grab mode. So once in screen grab mode, if I hit the spacebar then the window under the cursor can be captured when clicked.

nabme.gif

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom