Simple DIY Camera Belt Clip

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by oldracer, Jul 27, 2011.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I have become hooked on the sling/glide strap systems after being introduced to the concept by Ray S. These are a big improvement over conventional neck straps, but still have the fault that the camera swings around while walking.

I have looked a the Capture Camera Clip (Capture Camera Clip System by Peter Dering — Kickstarter) but this looks quite complicated to me and is bigger/more than I need.

What I finally came up with is just some bent spring steel wire that grabs the quick release plate:

Initial "walking around" tests with the camera on my hip went very well, including tests with the fairly heavy Panny 14-180mm lens. The camera stays solidly in place. It is fairly easy to insert into the clip, though it's also easy to miss centering the QR plate in the opening. More likely than not, I'll have to look as I insert the camera rather than sticking it in blind. But I expect that's the case for the Capture Camera Clip as well. We'll see.

The camera retention force can be adjusted to a degree by bending the sides of the square "capture" section inwards a bit, but retention is not positive. Hence, I won't be using this without the camera also being on a strap.

If you want to make one for yourself:
    • The wire I used was 0.092" diameter spring steel simply because I had it on hand. You could go a tad larger in diameter but I would not go smaller. Mine came from but any good hardware store should be able to help you. You could try coat hangar wire, but I think it might be too soft. It would work quite well for experimenting though.
    • The wire above the square section flares at 30 degrees, which was the first angle I tried and it seems to work o.k.
    • The little retention hooks that grab the bottom of the belt are necessary to prevent the whole thing from sliding upwards when you remove the camera.
    • Like Like x 2