1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Similar threads

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Yes, during thread creation only

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Yes, at the bottom of thread view only

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Yes, in both places

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  4. No, not at all

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What do you think of the new similar threads sections? There is one section that shows when you are starting a new thread (helps avoid redundant threads) and one that shows at the bottom of thread pages (to help find threads you might find interesting to read.

Is one section useful and not the other? Both? Neither?

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I find the latter worthless. Suggestions based on a"key" words seldom relate to the current thread topic other than sharing a that key word.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the similar threads suggestions for this thread or only similar in that they use the word similar in the title. I can see how they might be useful. And if they're not, they're easy enough to disregard...... kinda like Amazon's worthless suggestions "Other people who bought this, also bought this stuff". I glance and generally disregard, but it's nothing that needs to be gotten rid of. Just my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't really use them, but I don't want to call them "unuseful".

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Look at the 'similar threads' table below this thread to get your answer. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Irrespective of this particular thread as Arg has pointed out, I have actually found it useful recently. One it pointed to a thread on a related topic when I was creating a thread so at least I was then aware of it and could check it out (beat the search engine BTW) and with another one I found another similar thread I didn't know existed.

I may not use it much, but it is handy sometimes and well it is not causing any known issues is it?

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I really like it when creating a thread. Helps to keep out redundant threads. I pretty much ignore the box at the bottom.

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I don't create a lot of threads, but can see where it's good for that. I actually like the feature when viewing similar threads as it might point me to other useful information, and has recently.

Now if only we could purge and lump all of these "my first pic with....xx" threads into one...;)...or make a friendly suggestion like "Are you sure you want to start a new thread on this topic?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interesting results so far. Fair number of members in both camps.

10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    yes but looking at the "similar threads" below here, its nowhere near similar hahaha. may be a different way of recognizing what is similar and what isnt is a good idea...? im not familiar with how would that work so im sorry if im not making any sense. :)

11. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Just out of curiosity, how does the system identify similar threads? Is it purely based on the title? It looks that way from the threads suggested below this one, which all have the word "similar" in the title but otherwise seem rather random.

I have not really found myself using this feature but it doesn't cause me any problems either, so if some people like it I would see no reason to get rid of it.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I believe it's purely based on the title.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    For some topics, it is very useful to show similar threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    My take on it is it's not always useful, but in many cases it can be. If it's not using excessive bandwidth or slowing down page loading, I'd say leave it in both places.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I've found both to be useful, although not always. I'd rather retain both features for the occasions they are useful, rather than bin them for the times they are not.
    Showing relevant interests helps keep threads alive and also helps stop unnecessary duplication, and when the relevance fails, as it has at the bottom of this page, it doesn't stop me browsing or hinder my enjoyment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Seems like most members would prefer to keep them. I think one of our site maintenance upgrades is going to remove them (compatibility issue), but I will try to put them back before long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The results for similar threads are better on this site than other XenForo sites. For example, if you go the MacRumors site and are on the iPad sub-forum the similar threads can be anything from gen 1 iPad to the iPad Pro. Luckily don't we don't real issues with obsolescences on this site.