1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silverfish stuck in evf

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jmnket, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jmnket

jmnket Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2013
    I have lurked here for a couple years and learned a lot without having to even ask a question. Now I get to ask a rather strange one.

I just discovered a silverfish, yes the bug, trapped behind the glass of the evf on my EM5. It is full size and looks quite at home. I can't see any gaps obviously - weather sealing and all - so I don't know how it got in. Any thoughts on how to get it out?

Luckily it doesn't block the view but it is annoying. Help?

Joshua

2. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I cant imagine how much that would creep me out... looking into the EVF and seeing a bug magnified in my face for my viewing pleasure.

Any chance that it somehow got up there when your lens was off? Take off the lens and look inside the body, see if theres any way you could just blow it out, q-tip it out, etc.
    I dont have an EM5 though so I'm just taking a guess here.

Otherwise I'd contact Olympus and put the blame on defective weather sealing (if a bug can get in there... water sure can). If they agree, then they should fix it for free under warranty.
    Only other possibility is if the bug got in during production, which is again their fault.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Looking at my EM5, which has no eye cup at the moment, there are two phillips screws above the view port on the rear EVF housing, If you're feeling bold, you might take them out and see if the rear of the EVF housing lifts off, knowing that this may leave evidence that you disturbed the seals and void any warranty.

4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    As panda said, perhaps just take the lens off and leave it alone for awhile to see if the bug crawls out on its own. If it looks like it's still alive, then it can't have been in there for very long, so hopefully it will find its way out once it gets hungry.

.... eeeek!

5. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    There is no connection whatever between the lens and the viewfinder, it is not adslr.
    The only way it could be there if not from the factory ia a poor seal so get it fixed under warranty, say
    It is a hardware not software bug.
    Would not want it to crawl into your eye while you are using it.:eek:

6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I'm going to have nightmares after reading that! :hide:

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If that makes you crawl, what about Dr Michael Mosley infesting himself with tape worms, all in the name of science.

8. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I think that's a bit different .... :confused:

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is quite a thread! I'd probably toss the camera into the ocean after experiencing that! :p

10. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    So much for ever using an EVF again...

11. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    EVF = Entomology View Finder.....
    Apparently they are repelled by cinnammon, you could try getting some and leaving near the camera could get it to move out. Also read that they lay up to 20 eggs a day .

• Like Like x 1
  12. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You mean being a moron in the name of science? :cool:

13. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    How about putting some food near the camera to lure it out?

14. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    :biggrin: I just love this forum!

15. jmnket

jmnket Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions. As was mentioned, from what I can see there is no direct path from the lens mount area to the EVF. Thankfully, there is no clear path from where it is to my eye; if there was, I'd have removed it by now. I can't see it at all when I put the viewfinder against my eye. So at the moment it is more of a nuisance than a problem. When I get a response from Olympus I'll let you know what the score is. Sad there isn't an easy fix. This isn't how I wanted to become a shutter bug.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You guys don't think it started as a pupa and actually grew up in the finder? As a pupa it probably could get in through the mic ports or around the sensor...

If so, there's little chance of getting it out.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Full credit for the most interesting thread in quite a while. I wish I could provide a helpful suggestion.

• Like Like x 3
  18. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Okay, I've laughed at almost every post in this thread. Amin, if there is an award for most unexpected ยต43 problem, jmnket wins hands down.

jmnket, I hope Olympus comes through for you. I'm glad you can't see it when you put the VF to your eye. I was shuddering at the thought, till you said you couldn't see it when looking through the viewfinder. Good luck!

19. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    But as long as its larger than a molecule of water or speck of dust, it shouldnt get in right?

Although you do bring up a good point, the bug may have started as just an egg or pupa that got into the camera during assembly. So it would be small enough to get past any visual QA checks at the factory.

Ugh still so creepy. GLAD MY GM1 HAS NO VIEW FINDER. But now I'm worried about what may be in my nearly decade old 5D....

20. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Whatever you do, don't sprinkle cinnamon inside your camera!!

Or if you do, at least combine it with a little sugar and nutmeg. Yum. silverfish pie!