Silver vs Black... for GX85: What is the most resistent color?

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

i have a doubt, it's better the silver or the black cover for the GX85/80 ? I read that is not metal, but plastic, and my doubt is that after some time it will change the colour from silver to other tint.

Your experience? Black is more secure respect the silver cover?

Thanks

cluber77

Mu-43 Regular
I have the black version, I know that the silver have problem with the color after some time.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I almost always get black. The only exception for me has been my Fuji X70, but I couldn't find a used black one.

I also only go for black lenses. I've seen too many silver trimmed cameras with silver lenses where the colors aren't quite the same.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've not had any problem with either color, but I'll share some info for the hard core pixel peepers. If you place both bodies next to each other, outdoors, and measure their internal temperature a silver (or lighter colored) body will be ~ 15 degrees cooler, internally. I've used Imatest to measure noise and verified a definite correlation between image sensor temperature and noise mainly in the blue color channel. In fact, if you look at some early CCD cameras, they used a peltier device to cool the sensor to minimize noise. Can you see the difference - NO - but it can be measured.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Silver has the benefit of looking good with both silver and black lenses. The camera is half black/half silver already, so either lens matches. Black only looks good with black lenses. You can often find silver lenses for a little bit cheaper as a result of lower demand.

In terms of wear, I don't think I've ever noticed a difference. Black cameras fade and wear, too.

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
I bought silver. The anodizing process is the same for either color so the surface is equally as "durable".
However, when black get scratched, it is both a scratch, and a visible color change. When silver is scratched, it's just a scratch.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My black GX80 is nearly 3 years old and isn’t showing any signs of wear (but then, my P20mm is 8 years old and still looks new).

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought silver. The anodizing process is the same for either color so the surface is equally as "durable".
However, when black get scratched, it is both a scratch, and a visible color change. When silver is scratched, it's just a scratch.
Actually, the GX85 is plastic. The black one is black plastic. I don't know if the silver one is silver plastic or just a coat of paint over the black body.

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
1437020457000_IMG_513369[1].jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The black surround is plastic and the same on both models. The body, and top portion are formed metal (Don't know if it is aluminum or a magnesium alloy)

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
Darn it google image search you let me down. Yep that is a GX8. I took a closer look at the GX85 we have at the office and the top is indeed plastic, there is a visible mold parting line on the right edge. I wonder why they used plastic when even their pocket cameras are usually metal bodied.

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
Hi,

i have a doubt, it's better the silver or the black cover for the GX85/80 ? I read that is not metal, but plastic, and my doubt is that after some time it will change the colour from silver to other tint.

Your experience? Black is more secure respect the silver cover?

Thanks
I have a silver GX7 that has about 11k shots on it and it still looks good but has a few battle scares but I recently purchased a Pen-F in silver and really like it.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Nothing wrong with plastic... it survives collisions better than magnesium. But from a weather sealing aspect, it is not as stable as a metal body.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
As a general rule the base of the camera is the most vulnerable part.especially the grip. You get chips or dings. If you use a tripod,the area of attachment wil wear. Black cameras show dings worse. The best solution is to have the base encased,whatever camera you use.Cameras usually are painted,even metal ones.

Latest threads

Top Bottom