1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Silver or Black OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Jun 18, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    I have the black OM-D but after getting the 12 and 17mm in silver I want to sell my black and order the silver, crazy right?
    Nothing wrong with it just looking at the pics that some of you have posted with the silver om-d and lenses it just reminds me of better days and looks just darn nice too.
    Anyone sell one for the other, black to silver or silver to black?
    Nuts right.

2. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yeah, your crazy….although I love my OM-D with grip, I do kinda see the draw of the silver for an ungripped camera :)

3. oloap

oloap Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Switzerland
    Here I Am.... :biggrin:

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The black bodies with the silver lenses look kind of silly, so I understand where you're coming from.

However...even with film bodies, I've always loved the all-black ones...so I have a black OM-D and I'm (impatiently) waiting for the black 45 to be released in Korea so I can jump on it!! :D

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    How about silver Omd with black lenses? I am thinking of getting that. Does anyone think that would look weird?

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've got a silver I'll trade for a black. Let me know if interested.

7. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    I have both the black and the silver om-d. I find the black version combined with the HLD-6 makes the camera look like a vintage SLR camera with a motor drive. The silver om-d by itself reminds me so much of the vintage slr's. I personally like the silver.

No not all, I have the silver OM-d with the 25mm panasonic and I think it looks great. But lets not get ahead of ourselves, the real beauty is what the camera can produce not what it looks like.

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    The black is nice, but I really feel the silver is the way to go if you're into the whole retro-chic thing. And while I agree that the results are mostly what matters in photography, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the styling of the OM-D E-M5 didn't help push me in the direction of buying m43 again :)

9. Tosh

Tosh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    As an early adopter, the color choice was limited and I could only get black.
    A few months later I sold the black body and bought a used silver body because I think it looks better with the silver lenses.

10. Joe Lain

Joe Lain New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Black OMD with silver 45mm f.1

I think silver lens with Black body looks awesome if u use a black lens hood. I picked up a third party one here in Taiwan. Click on below thumbnails for bigger picture.

11. Joe Lain

Joe Lain New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
  12. Joe Lain

Joe Lain New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Black lens hood on reverse

OMD-2_1280x843_.

13. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I laugh when I see a silver lens on a black body. How foolish they look! What were they thinking? Did you notice they were the ones to buy those black lens protectors.

In fact everybody knows that the image quality from the silver body is far better than the black body. And you better have a stylish wrist strap to go with it!

Sorry couldn't resist. But what other OM-D faux pas could there be to mock? Sheeesh indeed!
    Imagine the screw ups with Nikon 1 though. A orange lens on a pink body perhaps?
    nikon1J1_colours.
    (Don't look below but I carry my OM-D in a PEN case! Durr!)

15. Joe Lain

Joe Lain New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Don't understand.

16. Joe Lain

Joe Lain New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Black OMD with silver 45mm f.1

For those of us who couldn't get a silver camera, ( I got mine in April 2012) I think this body, lens, lens hood fits very well; even better then all black. Also, some of us just don't have the money to trade for a different colored body or lens. OMD-5_1280x857_.

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Sorry Joe. I was just poking fun at the discussion. (And at my Pen case)

18. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, I bought my black E-M5 when they first was released.

I really wanted the silver one, but I had to be first to own the camera.

A few weeks later the siver was finally available, so I bought it.

I then decided to keep both...I now use the black for regular use, and take the silver one for special occassions.

19. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Brilliant :)

I am waiting on the OM-D replacement and will probably get that in addition to my black OM-D but I am also pretty tempted by a E-P5 in silver :)

20. keko

keko Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    Spain
    At first I wanted the silver one, for the coolness, the retro-look... it really is very, very sexy. Turns out the silver one was out of stock, so I got the black one, couldn't wait...you know how it goes when severe GAS hits...
    A few months later I love the black color, and wouldn't trade it for silver, for one simple reason:I feel it goes much more unnoticed than a silver one. I guess I'm one of those shooters who prefer to escape attention.
    The silver one is a looker though, and if I prices drop I may just end up with both colors.