Silver OM-D + Grip Simple modification to Match

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by s2kinfinite, May 7, 2012.

1. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Before:
    2qxu8on.

After:
    35ku3jk.

Product
    Simply mask off and apply 3-4 coats of Plastidip

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

Removal of Product:
    Plasti Dip is an air-dry liquid plastic designed to coat and protect. Most commonly known as "that stuff you use to dip tools", Plasti Dip offers MUCH MORE utility and opportunity. Along with Liquid Electrical Tape, Plasti Dip can be used to coat, seal, waterproof, protect and create solutions to many common problems.

Think of Plasti Dip as liquid heat shrink tubing. However, no heat is required to cure. When Plasti Dip is applied to most anything, it dries quickly and shrinks to fit perfectly. Like a rubber glove, the final coat is flexible, stretchable AND sometimes removable. When applied to smooth surfaces (shiny metal, glass), you can easily remove Plasti Dip by scoring with a knife or picking at an edge. It will peel off with NO sticky residue or mess. However, when applied to porous surfaces or materials (like wood, paper, fabric), Plasti Dip will not come off. To increase adhesion on metal or glass, Plasti Dip PRIMER is recommended. It is NOT required but does increase the adhesive quality by up to 400%. Primer is available only in quart and larger sizes and is grey in color.

The most common complaint we hear about Plasti Dip is storage life. As a solvent-based product, it will dry out over time and if not properly stored become unusable. HOWEVER.... even a dry can of Plasti Dip can be resurrected! By adding Plasti Dip THINNER or Naphtha, Plasti Dip can be restored or thinned. Unlike paints, Plasti Dip products can be rejuvenated and redissolved if necessary.

When storing Plasti Dip products, be sure the can is sealed AIR TIGHT. For the original 14.5 oz. can, the plastic lid is not sufficient for long term storage. It simply does not have the air tight quality needed to keep the solvents contained. HINT: Drop the entire can in a full-size mason jar. The can fits perfectly and mason jars are air tight. This will insure you product remains usable for a very long time. The manufacturer has since introduced a 7.25 oz. "Junior" sized can and the new 22 oz. size which are both in more traditional air-tight paint cans. Storage life for these products is much improved.

Keep in mind, the solvent-base is what makes Plasti Dip work so well. When adding multiple coats, Plasti Dip's solvents "melt" the surface of the previous coat making a bond that actually creates one thicker coating. Paints add layers on top of layers and become brittle. The thicker you make Plasti Dip, the stronger and more enduring it becomes. This also adds the cushioned effect desirable for tool handles and other applications.

2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks good!

3. s2kinfinite

Apr 14, 2012
    Just saw many complain about how silver doesn't look good with a grip...Im guessing due to the way the silver flows through the side of the grip. So this modification should be a simple and effective and reversible (as long as the surface if smooth and not pores).

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I must be missing something obvious? I've looked at both images about 50 times and am still playing spot-the-difference..... :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. s2kinfinite

Apr 14, 2012
    Hahha its cool....Note the top left (little pic) where I posted the side view of how the silver bottom runs through grip....overall look at "bottom of camera" not grip...u gotta play those spot the difference game more (kidding)

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Ah, bloody hell, that's what I call a subtle mod - thanks for putting me out my misery though.... :biggrin:

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    hahah i totally did the same
    i started to think it was a joke poking fun at people being silly about the colors... then i FINALLY saw it

i guess it just doesnt bother me :) HALLELUJAH!

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I caught after a couple of looks, but agree, whats the big deal? Nobody is plasti-dipping the 45mm! I've been afraid to plasti-dip the grill of my impreza, no way in hell i'd bring a can of plastic spray paint anywhere near my camera :)

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sweet mod..that does look a lot nicer with the grip. I wonder how it will wear over the years.

10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Does the dip extend under the body - or just cover the edge? I imagine a thin coat under would protect the bottom from tripod screw scratches, etc.

11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Not with plasti-dip. As soon as plasti-dip is scratched, it will peel off. That's the advantage and disadvantage with it.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's not clear from the original post, but as I look closer I'm assuming this is a Photoshop exercise at this point. Seems like a decent suggestion, but it doesn't look like anyone has volunteered their new baby to be the guinea pig.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NICE! One reason why I am thinking black over silver is because of the grip being only black, BUT your mod looks great. Keep us up to date as to how well the Plasti-dip stands up. I have used their products before and find it can peel off of some surfaces.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    So this is what owners of EM5 are doing nowadays -- coloring their silver cameras ...

... so jealous. I wanna play too! :)

15. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    You just pimped that OMD. Great job!

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Is it just me, why the heck bother :confused:

17. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I'd like to pimp my Black E-M5 with Gold Trim :tongue:, and a RED DOT :rofl:

18. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I dont get it...

Wouldn't a few small sheets of vinyl suffice? :confused:

Hell, if youre feeling money...cutting up a sheet of asahi leatherette would make a a more seamless look.

19. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    That would be wild. Right now I love my OMD simple but in the future maybe I'll do something to it. Too new for me right now. :smile:

20. s2kinfinite

Apr 14, 2012
    Ya, it's a very small area to mod so totally no biggie....

I wouldn't do it to 45mm Lens..... in case hard to remove.....

Just mask off everything except the entire bottom piece and hit it 3-4 coats. I would recommend to do the bottom too because it will peel off in time if you didn't (even though your grip would cover it) gives it a nice finish to extend to bottom.