silver OM-D EM-5 leather pealing off?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dtchan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    So I was one of the unfortunate ones that had to send my OM-D in for repair due to the failed 1.2 update. I got it back, and found the right side of the leather somewhat lose. It isn't exactly starting to peal off yet but.... if you press against it, it kind of bounces meaning is not exactly glued tightly. The right side is completely flushed to the body. If I use my finger and gently move from the plastic over to the leather, the leather moves a bit.

Since the work order said they replaced the IS, I am wondering if they had to peal the leather covering off to do so. Then when they put it back together, didn't glue it properly.

I really don't remember it that loose when I sent it in. Are any of your leather covering a bit lose on the right side of the camera? I don't really want to send it in again~~~~! I also don't really want to open it up myself and glue it back.

Here is a video I took to indicate what I'm saying:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uC307jAko"]Olympus OM-D EM-5 leather pealing off? - YouTube[/ame]

2. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    i assume this is the for the silver OMD? can you post pictures?

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Edited main post to include a video that shows what I'm trying to say.

4. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    thanks. one of the reason why i didn't get the Silver. i thought that leatherette will really peel off eventually. i didn't like that texture. its just me though...

5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Mine hasn't gotten loose yet. There is a leather case replacement that requires you to peel off the original to replace it. Sorry don't remember the brand name, but it seems doable to re-glue it yourself if you don't want to send it back in.

6. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Oly will cover part of the shipping cost, and off my EM-5 goes........... again

7. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Hey dtchan,

Any chance we could get a better look behind the leather? I am hoping that it is just a recess because I would like to glue in replacement rubber.

8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    The "leather" is just glued onto a plastic part that is glued onto the body. Save your self the trouble of sending it back and just re glue it.

9. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Well ... could be a perfect time to get an aki-asahi! :smile:

10. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Well, got my E-M5 yesterday and there is a bit of space between its leather and the mount base, on the left side (thankfully, not on the grip side).

Does the black version have the same kind of issues with its cover material?

11. Yanning

Yanning New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    I didn't find the same issue on the black version .

• Like Like x 1