Silver GX9 w/ Silver Oly Lenses?

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a GX9. I think I like the black and silver model. I'm also going to pick up an Olympus lens or two.

How do the silver Oly lenses look on a black and silver GX9 body? They seem like different color silver. Do they work together okay? I'm actually colorblind (not asking for a friend).

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not all Olympus silver lenses are the same color. Plastic body lenses like the 45/1.8 have a cool, bluish chrome color and metal body lenses like the 75/1.8 & 12/2 have warmer toned silvers. I don't have a silver & black GX9, but I do have a S&B GX8 and the warmer toned silver lenses match the silver of the GX8 better.

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for pointing that out. I think I’ll play it safe, and stick with black lenses for now. I can’t believe I care about such things!

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
No idea which lenses you're looking at, but if it's in the 17mm range, buy the PL15 . Perfect on the Gx9 body.

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
Interesting. I actually have the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 as %1 priority. What do you prefer about the PL?

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
I'm really glad saladin mentioned that lens. I've done a little research, and I was way off the mark! I was going to buy what I thought were the best lenses 7 years ago, when I last shot MFT. My, how things have changed! The g9 body and kit are on their way to me. Here is the rest of the shopping list, should anyone care to comment. I'm primarily an iPhone photographer, but wanted a camera for those situations where a phone just won't do:

Venus Optics Laowa 7.5mm f/2 - My bread and butter. I'll be using this the most. For landscapes, and seascapes. I'll probably have filters on this for 9/10 shots.

Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. - For occasionally tinkering around with portraits and product photography. Not my main hobby, but I like to have the ability to do these things in a pinch. Plus anything I need a fairly shallow depth-of-field on.

Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH - Just for fun... For walking around... Maybe travel photography... Really, just for when I feel like using a camera instead of a phone. In my previous system, I lived with a 35mm equivalent on my camera body for about two years. This lens is probably a comfort blanket for me as much as anything.

Thanks.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
You're not a zoom shooter from the look of it, but should you ever decide to do something different, the PL 50-200 is top-drawer stuff. An outstanding lens.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. - For occasionally tinkering around with portraits and product photography. Not my main hobby, but I like to have the ability to do these things in a pinch. Plus anything I need a fairly shallow depth-of-field on.

Have you considered the Panasonic Leica 45 f/2.8 Macro?

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
Good to know. I'll be back to looking at zooms once I fill the prime need. Thanks!

I had the PL 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8. I really enjoyed both.

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
Have you considered the Panasonic Leica 45 f/2.8 Macro?

I hadn't looked at it. No. I looked at the Oly 45 (which I previously had and really liked). Do you prefer the 45mm Macro? What about it do you like?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I have a odd collection, so I have Oly primes, sans the 25 wich was a freebie with the GX8 house, and Panasonic zooms. Am pondering getting the PL primes for the somewhat classic trio of 15/25/45 and am researching it, it seems to be somewhat forgotten in amongst the rest of the 42,5 to 45s, hence the question. :)

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
I have a odd collection, so I have Oly primes, sans the 25 wich was a freebie with the GX8 house, and Panasonic zooms. Am pondering getting the PL primes for the somewhat classic trio of 15/25/45 and am researching it, it seems to be somewhat forgotten in amongst the rest of the 42,5 to 45s, hence the question. :)

Gotcha! Portait lens is last on my list, so it will probably be several months before I'm ready to buy one. I'll definitely throw it into the mix to research.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
GX85 & 9 here. I'm fairly new to m43. Over the past year I’ve put my kit together.
I use the PL15 as my indoor lens as well as a side kick to my zooms during travel. Though I wish it was a touch wider at times (classic 28mm) it’s pretty much my favorite lens. It just does everything right. Another lens I that pairs well with the smaller GX bodies is the Oly 25/1.8. Different render than P, mine is sharp as a tack. Very quick focusing in spite of not using DFD. Have the P20 in the mail. All I hear is it’s excellent render. I’m a sucker for that. Had the P25/1.7 but swapped it for the O25 which fit my GM1 better. A very much underrated lens. And inexpensive. I tend to shoot street and travel. Thus the narrow range or primes. Zooms are P12-32, P12-35, P14-140. I’m extremely pleased with all of them. The latter 2 zooms carry well on the GX9. Not too heavy, well balanced.
The blacks vary in color as well. But they all work fine as lenses:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom