1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silver Effex 2 Issues

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Streetshooter, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Here's a new issue.
    I prep a DNG file in LR 3.3. Then open the image in Silver Effex 2 plug in, in LR.
    After I save the image, then open it in LR... It's different then when in Silver Effex 2.
    This has not happened so far if I import to PS5 and use the plug in there.
    Very strange. I'm doing nothing different in my workflow from Silver Effex original but the software is doing something.

Any ideas?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Don, this is weird. I haven't noticed a difference, at least I don't think I have. I will pay closer attention.

3. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's still doing this. I ran an image thru regular SE
    and all was fine... Some kinda gremlin I guess...
    Uhh huh...

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No such issues with Aperture, Don, just the slow thing we discussed before. One thing I noticed that I think is different from the first version is that if I save a TIFF file with Silver Efex version 2 that has some toning applied to it, the toning shows up in Aperture, but then if I try to reopen it in Silver Efex, the toning is gone and it just shows up in black and white. Not a big issues, I almost never open an image in Silver Efex a second time after I've worked on it and saved it. But I did notice it and I'm 99% sure that's different than in version 1.

I doubt this is useful - just another data point on a small (in this case) issue.

-Ray

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Ray... It's all very perplexing and upsetting.
    I am going to reinstall the software later.
    I'll post an update.
    Thanks again....don

6. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I've noticed it's messed up my keywording, by joining words together that had previously been separated by commas when exported from Lightroom to SEP2. But I've basically already given up on it anyway.

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks but I'm not giving up. They have to fix these issues. I am not the only one having headaches.

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Use the customer service telephone numbers or their forms online. The squeaky wheels get the grease.

Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-284-4085 (+1-619-725-3150 outside of the US). Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

P.S. I will report back if I notice any oddities.

9. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I downloaded the trial version, and it seems like it is working so far. I have noticed the thumbnails don't always update immediately, but they do update eventually.

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    If I open SF2 in Photoshop 5, then save the image, it takes a few minutes to close and put the image back in LR.

11. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I can't find pull process preset in SFX 2. Anyone knows ?

12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    They don't have all of the same presets in version 2 that they had in version 1. But they've made most (maybe all?) available for download on their website, so you can download them and import them into version 2. I have all of my old favorites plus some other good ones from the downloads.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, As John suggested, I uninstalled version 1 with appzaper.
    I then installed SEP2 again and it's working ok.
    It takes a little time to open and close but it's ok. The sliders no longer drag.
    I'm happy... Thank all and a special thanks to John.
    Don

14. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Don or John or anyone else...,

How did you use appzapper - did you have to uninstall using the Nik uninstaller to get it out of Aperture/Lightroom? Or do you just drag the app file from before it was installed in the host software to get rid of everything. I have both versions 1 and 2 still available in my Aperture menu. The guy from Nik said this shouldn't cause any problems, but if getting rid of version 1 more completely sped things up for you, I want to try that too.

-Ray

15. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Ray,

As you said, Nik says it isn't suppose to matter, but I have have no issues on both the iMac and 13 inch macbook, and I did uninstall on both. If you do not have the dmg file for version 1, you can download from Nik and use the built-in uninstall to do the work. I did it that way on the iMac, but got lazy and used AppZapper on the laptop. If you use the former, it will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, and I said no. I have used AppZapper for a year or two and have been very pleased with it. I think it is around $12.00 (USD). I think there is a trial period also.

I am seeing some of the issues you mentioned on loss of changes/tone/etc. when you take a previously worked-on image in SEP2 back in at a later time. I asked if that is normal at a webinar the other day and was told no. I opened a tech ticket, but I imagine they are swamped with bug issues as this is a pretty big change in their program. Nik has been good with fixing issues and I hope they keep that up. I know from their forums that some people are upset and want faster action, but from a software engineering perspective, it just isn't going to happen over night. When Viveza 2 first came out, there were some issues and it took 2-3 months before they got them worked out.

If you use AppZapper, you can find the icon for SEP from the drop down box that appears when you open (hit arrow in upper right of the box), highlight it, and it will bring up all the related files for deletion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks John. Well, I've uninstalled and zapped everything and it still seems pretty slow to me. I've gotten used to it - I can work with it, but its not fast on this machine. BUT, after I'd uninstalled and zapped everything it took a while and a few library repairs and a couple of restarts before Aperture could even open its own library. And now that's working so, relatively speaking, it ain't broke and I'm all done trying to fix it! Maybe in a couple of months, after the dust settles at Nik, I'll give them a call...

Thanks for the help,

-Ray

17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, John etc...
    I noticed that it's working faster now that I did what I did...butt...
    it's not as fast as BB's machine. It's faster than it was, so I'm happy.
    The issue of the image changing when I bring it back into LR has also cleared up....for now....