Silver Efex Pro 2 tips/techniques

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ray Sachs, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    We've had a few issues with Silver Efex Pro version 2 that have deservedly had their own thread. How about one for tips or techniques people are finding with it?

As I've shown somewhat obviously on a number of recent photos, I've been playing around with the selective colorization. I've shown a number of shots where there are areas that have clearly and obviously had some color added back in. Some are very subtle, barely affecting the overal image, and some are very obvious and a big part of the image.

But another technique that I've been experimenting with is using the selective colorization in ways that I don't think are even visible yet seem to give the photograph a bit of an extra dimension. I'll take a couple of key areas of the photograph, put a contact point down, and bring the color up to the point that I can clearly see it and then I'll back it down just to the point where I can't tell there's any color in the shot or I can almost tell if I look very very closely for it, but even then I'm not sure. And I'm finding this can bring something to a photograph that's barely visible - it still looks like a monochrome photograph - but has a real impact beyond what you can do just with lights and darks and contrast and structure and the other tools in the program.

If you haven't played around with that slider, I recommend it. That was a feature of the program I thought I'd never use when it was announced, and the more I use it, the more I like it. I'm already tiring of the shots where the results are clearly visible with color obviously injected into the image. But I'm really liking using it in a sort of subterranean way that I'd have never thought of but for sort of backing into it. I think it can be a useful tool even if a viewer would never guess you were using it, probably particularly when its just on the edge of visible. I'd like to know if anyone else tries this and what you think.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ray, thanks for starting this. I did look at the Selective Colorization but haven't tried it. I will have to - once I figure it out.:wink:

I am still getting used to this version and hope that it will grow on me as I have the time to use it more consistently. I'll be subscribing to this thread.:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Me too......:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Selective Color Confusion

I just upgraded to the Pro2 version and have been trying to master the selective color feature. I'm finding it rather difficult to define the edges clearly and clean. For example, to retain the "red" of rose petals, but none of the adjacent areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA

I have taken what webinars I can find at Nik regarding SEP2. When demonstrating selective color, they always zoom in on the item they are colorizing, reduce the diameter of the control points to very small, and overall use a lot of them both on the item you are trying to colorize, as well as dropping control points on the adjacent areas you don't want colored.

I use Aperture 3 with SEP 2 and have limited success. Often before I am done and have backed out of SEP2 to Aperture again, the image looks like a pin cushion or a NYC PD pin map of the latest crime statistics.

Hope your Northern NJ area is finally drying out and the worst flooding has passed.