1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silver Efex Pro 2 software

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CWRailman, Jul 7, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    A few weeks ago I purchased a copy of Silver Efex Pro 2 from an Ebay seller. When it arrived it was not an original disk nor did it have the original documentation or key number etc. Has anyone had any experience with this? He claims it is a backup copy because the original disks were destroyed and he is selling off all the assets of the company that owned the software. I have asked for a refund but so far Ebay is not being very supportive but the guy continues to list and offer additional copies of this and other software.

Does anyone know where this is being sold legally for a reasonable price?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The situation you describe is the reason I avoid purchasing software second-hand. The seller you are dealing with sure smells like a scammer to me.

The only legitimate source for Silver Efex that I am aware of is from Google/Nik itself. However, it seems they no longer sell the apps individually, but only in the bundle for $150.

When I bought the Nik Collection a few years ago, this represented a terrific value, and I've found that I've used all the apps on the bundle extensively. However, Google doesn't seem to be updating the apps, but rather just letting them sort of die on the vine. Because of this, I would take a hard look to see if other alternatives exist before making the purchase.

As I understand it, some of the guys behind Nik have created a company called Macphun and released a product called Tonality which had a similar feature set to SEP. If you're a Mac user you might want to download the trial version of that package to see if it might fit your needs.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    IIUC all Nik software is via download only from their own site

Its available via all the usual dodgy sites though and that,s probably were the eBay seller has got his from and just burned it to disk.

If you think its not legitimate report the seller to both eBay and Google, one might take action.

Paul

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The important thing is the key that is required to unlock it. Without a valid key, it is most likely worthless as you can download the software from Nik's site.

Unless it is an OEM version that does not require a key(very unlikely), it sounds like the seller is pushing some kind of scam. I would still report it to eBay/Paypal. It might take some time, but it is better to get the ball rolling early.

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have reported it to Ebay twice but they have taken no action.

I am also having a problem with Ebay concerning a E-M10 I bought. After I purchased and paid for it they cancelled/shut down the sellers listing but did not refund my money. In addition they are saying that the sale never took place however my Pay Pal account shows that it has been paid for and Pay Pal refuses to do anything about it saying it was a legitimate sale. We have been going around about that issue for almost two weeks now. I have been buying and selling on Ebay since 1999 and never had any problems until this past year. First with a computer and now this stuff.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    As DeeJayK said, I wouldn't purchase software off eBay, there's nothing tangible and it's all to easy to get a duff.
    I recently purchased the NIK collection from Google, it's a brilliant suite of software. Well worth having if only for SEP2, in my opinion.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Agreed, no software off eBay. I want something I load, register, get support with, and do a legal upgrade later.

Before Google took over Nik, lots of innovation. Since then, not so much. I found that Perfect Photo Suite is now a much better value. The edited images come back to Lightroom as editable PSD files.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Like others have said or alluded to, always buy software from authorized and reputable sources, not eBay.

As for Silver Efex, not much going on with it since Google. I prefer Alien Skin Exposure over it anyways.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

DxO Filmpack has pretty good B+W emulations. Also VSCO if you have an adobe product for the plugin.

10. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I suggest a trial of Topaz B&W Effects. The standalone product is $60. I bought several of the Topaz Labs products individually, then upgraded to the full suite.

11. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Anyway, when you buy a software, the only important thing is the licence key.
    (the software on the disks are outdated most of the times)

When you buy a licence key on ebay, how can you be sure the seller is not using them anymore, and not selling the same key to anybody else?

12. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Try to register the software with the maker. When you find out the key/license is already used....good luck getting eBay/paypal to give the money back. Just don't go there.

You will usually get the better legitimate prices at B&H, Adorama, Amazon (but pay sales tax), and a few other major retailers. After spending thousands on camera bodies, lenses, and a computer to do post processing, the software is the likely the smallest part of the total investment. Compared to the cost of a good lens, any software is relatively inexpensive.