Silver Efex Pro 2 Question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Stephen Geis, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Apologies in advance for the silliness of this question. Is Silver Efex 2 a software add-in that requires another program or is it a stand-alone software program?

I've seen positive reviews here, but don't know enough to dip my toe in the water ...

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It's a plug in that works in conjunction with Lightroom, Aperture or Photoshop - maybe others? I've heard that you may be able to run it independently, but I don't think that's what it was primarily designed for.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Received this info from Nik today (I inquired about SE use with Corel Paint Shop Pro X2):
    Thank you for contacting Nik Software. All Nik Software products are compatible with Photoshop/Elements, Aperture 2.1 or above, and Lightroom 2.3 or above. The software will automatically install into all compatible host applications. However, you only need one of the listed host application to be able to use the software.

Currently all Nik Software products (Dfine 2*, HDR Efex Pro, Viveza 2, Color Efex Pro 3*, Silver Efex Pro 2, and Sharpener Pro 3*) are no longer compatible with Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.

*Older versions of some of our products (**Dfine v2.106, Viveza v1.005, Color Efex Pro v3.108, Silver Efex Pro v1.006, and Sharpener Pro v3.004) should be compatible with Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 (12.00). Unfortunately we no longer support any of our products in the newer versions of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo, such as version X2 Ultimate (12.50) and X3 (13.00) or higher.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or call our Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-284-4085 (+1-619-725-3150 outside of the US). Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for asking your question, Stephen. Believe me you're not the only person who doesn't know what it is or even what a "plug in" is.

I will add that Streetshooter encouraged me for close to 7 months before I finally got it...and I have never looked back. I got the Complete NIK package and use Color Efex and Silver Efex (now #2) often one after the other and back again on the same photograph. Can't recommend them enough, though my experience is limited to use in Lightroom.

5. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    If I may add my 2 cents, I will second BBs opinion that Silver Efex is simply superb. I use mine through PS CS5. Buy it; you will not regret it.