1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Silver E-P3

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by starlabs, Aug 10, 2011.

1. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I finally got my silver E-P3 yesterday. It took a lot of discipline to hold out for the silver while everyone was getting black or white E-P3's, but it was worth it. This chrome camera is just drop dead beautacious! :hail:

In case anyone else was deciding on whether to get silver, I took quite a few shots. Here's a few (yeah, been having problems getting the white balance right :mad: )

Update: I took the super-annoying strap lugs off the E-P3. It looks (and suprisingly, "feels") much better. New pictures have been appended to this post.

EPL17585-M.

EPL17639-M.

EPL17596-M.

EPL17602-L.

E-P3 and 20mm pancake:
    EPL17616-M.

E-P3 and 14mm pancake:
    EPL17620-M.

The E-P3 with my previous baby, the E-PL1:
    P1000091-M.

New pics:

EPL17652-M.

EPL17653-M.

• Like Like x 8
  2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Absolutely beautiful. I cuddle with mine for a bit before bedtime. my wife thinks I'm a bit obsessed. I'm glad I got a silver one as well.

with my contax 45.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    That's it. F the grip...I'm leaving mine's off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Then just get an EPL3 :D

I likey my grip.

Starlabs -- what do you think of that new little flash???

5. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The FL-300R? It's not bad. I'm just dipping my toes into flash photography, so I'm definitely no expert.

The RC mode works fine with the E-PL1 but haven't tested it with the E-P3 yet; I'm sure it'll work exactly the same. It has a diffuser but honestly I haven't seen much difference with it on or off. From what I can tell I don't think the flash supports Super FP mode though but I'll have to research this thoroughly before being able to say for sure.

It's really small - I love the portability of that flash!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Have you tried bouncing it? I think it tilts back to bounce?? Does it pivot left/right?

7. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Bounce works fine - the flash can tilt both forward and backwards by about 40 degrees or so. You can also bend it 90 degrees forward for compactness (at which point the flash intelligently turns itself off).

It doesn't pivot left or right however.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    That silver finish sans grip is drool-worthy.

Panasonic definitely need to work on the lust-factor for their cameras.

Sure its only skin-deep but it shouldn't be under-estimated in terms of gear-selection.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep,
    You've made some E-P3 owners jealous! :wink:

10. Big yes to the silver version, but the Panny lenses still look like a spare tyres on the silver Pens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I rather like the black pancakes on the silver EP body.

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Silver body is the only way. Olympus usually uses low quality paint on black bodies which comes out rather quickly. I think the white paint is probably least durable.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Diffuser is useful for macro. Also, the flash is simply not powerful enough to support FP mode. If it did, we'd be lucky if we could get GN5 out of it if

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Isn't the black on the E-P2 "Special" (with the retro lens cap) different than the standard black E-P2?

15. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Agree.

Too many people in photo-gear world get hung up on matching things like it was 1990. It's the 21st century...contrast looks good too.

Silver body/ black lens
    Black body/ silver lens
    White body/ black lens

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The silver looks beautiful, but I love the looks of my black E-P3. Absolutely no regrets here!

17. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I do agree the black pancakes look like fat tires on the silver E-P3. I'm ambivalent about that... it's neither here nor there for me. Would I prefer silver versions of those lenses? Probably. :tongue:

I took the strap lugs off the camera and updated my original post with new pictures of the E-P3, sans lugs. Must say it's a huge improvement.

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    noooooo
    the grip adds sexyretroness!!!

19. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hiep,

If I may ask. After a few days, what are your thoughts on transitoning from the EPL-1 to the EP-3? Handling? Speed? Ease of use?

I'm on a similar path and upgrading soon. (Have an EPL1, 20mm, 14-42, OM 50 1.8)

-Zeph

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's here!

photo2.

the ups man dropped my silver ep3/17 kit off a few hours ago
    i promptly took it out and took silly amounts of art filtered pics of my dog and bird trying to lick/peck the camera lens

this silver is BEAUTIFUL
    its so... sheen-y!

cant wait for my light wood aki asahi case to get in!
    and i think ill get a brown corduroy strap... id get leather, but im already going off in whacky land with the wood skin... so might as well keep it up! :D

• Like Like x 3