Silver E-M1 - ughh

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Aug 29, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I spotted this shot of the silver E-M1:

olympus-e-m1-silver-model.

I've never been a big fan of the E-M1 aesthetics, but to my eyes it looks a damned sight worse in silver. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the fact that the grip trim right above the leather is thinner than the body trim right above the leather, really makes the grip look like an after-market/after-thought bolt on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I think the E-M5 looks just fine in silver. The E-M1 is already challenged in this department, the silver just pushes it over the top. Fugly.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Could just be a prototype. That pics been around a while.

5. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I guess i'll be in the minority and say it's not too bad. I bought a silver E-M5 and didn't even consider a black one. All of my OM's are silver as well.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The black has the same odd trim, but it's less noticeable.

7. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Silver doesn't work on the e-m1. Looks awesome on the e-m5 though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Eh, not that much different:

OLY-OM-D-E-M5-SLV-01.

olympus-e-m1-silver-model.

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The problem I think is that the E-M1's grip isn't pretty. It's big and looks to some degree like a bit of an afterthought. In silver, it just sticks out more and emphasizes its ugliness. Aesthetics aside, it's actually a great feature, but let's be honest, only its mother would think it a pretty camera! Neither the E-M5 nor E-M10 suffer from this so they look cool in silver - esp the E-M10 which I think is gorgeous in silver.

• Like Like x 1
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  11. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'll hold on my judgement until I see a better pic. The other omd's and pens are gorgeous in silver imo, but this? Gotta see it first I guess. To me, the em1 is serious. Almost as serious as canikon, almost too serious for fun. The other omd's and the pens are less so. Maybe that's why I like them with a bit more flare, silver and orange and whatnot.

I think I'll hold on to my black em1.

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1
  12. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Maybe by the time i buy one, the silver versions will be so ugly that they'll be $100 less than the blacks... :)

13. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I think you are spot on. I had the E-M5 in silver, it was that retro look that intrigued me. My E-M1 is a more serious camera - it feels so much better in my hand. The first time I used it I decided that aesthetics were not so important to me.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the OM-1 was the prettiest of the OM-range:

EP540395_1280.

Minimalistic, essential controls only and in just the right places. A masterpiece of industrial engineering.

• Like Like x 5
  15. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I reluctantly bought the EM1 when it came out despite being black....once I realized no silver was to be offered. EM5 in silver was a no brainer...and once I picked up a black one...I knew silver was the way to go. The "Leather" body on the black one was more artificial...rasp-like feel to it. The Silver body had more natural feel due to irregular texture.

I wonder if the silver EM1 will be considered a limited, special edition, premium priced body, just like the 12mm Black edition (up until a few days ago ;-)

16. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    What? No hot shoe? I guess it must have a pop-up flash instead! How was the AF, esp on Sport subjects? Noise level on the sensor? What's the max FPS? Bat capacity & SD card writing speed?

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I personally don't care what it looks like, I care how it functions. This isn't a selfie camera - this camera is for folks who care about the content of their photographs, and the tools they use to make them are evaluated on functionality. I never heard of going to Home Depot and buying a hammer or a drill based upon it's styling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    :smile:

19. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    I really like my EM-1, any color is fine.......it is nice to have two bodies in the long run and they may will be dressed differently, 1 Black and 1 Silver.........this is what I did with my OM-2n's. jus sayin.......probably looks better with a black lens on it or a lens on it period.......from what has been posted!

Thanks for Sharing!

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Check out these babies:
    http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/base-camp-x-hardcore-hammers