Silver E-M1 - ughh

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I spotted this shot of the silver E-M1:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've never been a big fan of the E-M1 aesthetics, but to my eyes it looks a damned sight worse in silver. What do you think?

WT21

Super Moderator
I think the fact that the grip trim right above the leather is thinner than the body trim right above the leather, really makes the grip look like an after-market/after-thought bolt on.

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
I guess i'll be in the minority and say it's not too bad. I bought a silver E-M5 and didn't even consider a black one. All of my OM's are silver as well.

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
Silver doesn't work on the e-m1. Looks awesome on the e-m5 though.
Eh, not that much different:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The problem I think is that the E-M1's grip isn't pretty. It's big and looks to some degree like a bit of an afterthought. In silver, it just sticks out more and emphasizes its ugliness. Aesthetics aside, it's actually a great feature, but let's be honest, only its mother would think it a pretty camera! Neither the E-M5 nor E-M10 suffer from this so they look cool in silver - esp the E-M10 which I think is gorgeous in silver.

Neftun

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Patrick Kristiansen
I'll hold on my judgement until I see a better pic. The other omd's and pens are gorgeous in silver imo, but this? Gotta see it first I guess. To me, the em1 is serious. Almost as serious as canikon, almost too serious for fun. The other omd's and the pens are less so. Maybe that's why I like them with a bit more flare, silver and orange and whatnot.

I think I'll hold on to my black em1.

Patrick K

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
I'll hold on my judgement until I see a better pic. The other omd's and pens are gorgeous in silver imo, but this? Gotta see it first I guess. To me, the em1 is serious. Almost as serious as canikon, almost too serious for fun. The other omd's and the pens are less so. Maybe that's why I like them with a bit more flare, silver and orange and whatnot.

Patrick K
Maybe by the time i buy one, the silver versions will be so ugly that they'll be $100 less than the blacks... :)

artsifrtsy

Mu-43 Regular

Patrick K
I think you are spot on. I had the E-M5 in silver, it was that retro look that intrigued me. My E-M1 is a more serious camera - it feels so much better in my hand. The first time I used it I decided that aesthetics were not so important to me.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Not a fan of the E-M1 'look' - just seems to have curvy bits thrown at angular bits.

The original OM had beautiful lines and worked well in black or silver (or titanium/champagne/grey for those with the 3Ti/4Ti).
I think the OM-1 was the prettiest of the OM-range:

Minimalistic, essential controls only and in just the right places. A masterpiece of industrial engineering.

tornado

Mu-43 Veteran
I reluctantly bought the EM1 when it came out despite being black....once I realized no silver was to be offered. EM5 in silver was a no brainer...and once I picked up a black one...I knew silver was the way to go. The "Leather" body on the black one was more artificial...rasp-like feel to it. The Silver body had more natural feel due to irregular texture.

I wonder if the silver EM1 will be considered a limited, special edition, premium priced body, just like the 12mm Black edition (up until a few days ago ;-)

tornado

Mu-43 Veteran
I think the OM-1 was the prettiest of the OM-range:

What? No hot shoe? I guess it must have a pop-up flash instead! How was the AF, esp on Sport subjects? Noise level on the sensor? What's the max FPS? Bat capacity & SD card writing speed?

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I personally don't care what it looks like, I care how it functions. This isn't a selfie camera - this camera is for folks who care about the content of their photographs, and the tools they use to make them are evaluated on functionality. I never heard of going to Home Depot and buying a hammer or a drill based upon it's styling.

EMC

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eddie
I really like my EM-1, any color is fine.......it is nice to have two bodies in the long run and they may will be dressed differently, 1 Black and 1 Silver.........this is what I did with my OM-2n's. jus sayin.......probably looks better with a black lens on it or a lens on it period.......from what has been posted!

Thanks for Sharing!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom