Silver E-M1 - ughh

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Aug 29, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I spotted this shot of the silver E-M1:

olympus-e-m1-silver-model.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the E-M1 aesthetics, but to my eyes it looks a damned sight worse in silver. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the fact that the grip trim right above the leather is thinner than the body trim right above the leather, really makes the grip look like an after-market/after-thought bolt on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I think the E-M5 looks just fine in silver. The E-M1 is already challenged in this department, the silver just pushes it over the top. Fugly.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Could just be a prototype. That pics been around a while.

5. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I guess i'll be in the minority and say it's not too bad. I bought a silver E-M5 and didn't even consider a black one. All of my OM's are silver as well.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The black has the same odd trim, but it's less noticeable.

7. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Silver doesn't work on the e-m1. Looks awesome on the e-m5 though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Eh, not that much different:

OLY-OM-D-E-M5-SLV-01.jpg

olympus-e-m1-silver-model.jpg

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The problem I think is that the E-M1's grip isn't pretty. It's big and looks to some degree like a bit of an afterthought. In silver, it just sticks out more and emphasizes its ugliness. Aesthetics aside, it's actually a great feature, but let's be honest, only its mother would think it a pretty camera! Neither the E-M5 nor E-M10 suffer from this so they look cool in silver - esp the E-M10 which I think is gorgeous in silver.

• Like Like x 1
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
  11. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'll hold on my judgement until I see a better pic. The other omd's and pens are gorgeous in silver imo, but this? Gotta see it first I guess. To me, the em1 is serious. Almost as serious as canikon, almost too serious for fun. The other omd's and the pens are less so. Maybe that's why I like them with a bit more flare, silver and orange and whatnot.

I think I'll hold on to my black em1.

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1
  12. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Maybe by the time i buy one, the silver versions will be so ugly that they'll be $100 less than the blacks... :)

13. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I think you are spot on. I had the E-M5 in silver, it was that retro look that intrigued me. My E-M1 is a more serious camera - it feels so much better in my hand. The first time I used it I decided that aesthetics were not so important to me.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the OM-1 was the prettiest of the OM-range:

EP540395_1280.jpg

Minimalistic, essential controls only and in just the right places. A masterpiece of industrial engineering.

• Like Like x 5
  15. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I reluctantly bought the EM1 when it came out despite being black....once I realized no silver was to be offered. EM5 in silver was a no brainer...and once I picked up a black one...I knew silver was the way to go. The "Leather" body on the black one was more artificial...rasp-like feel to it. The Silver body had more natural feel due to irregular texture.

I wonder if the silver EM1 will be considered a limited, special edition, premium priced body, just like the 12mm Black edition (up until a few days ago ;-)

16. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    What? No hot shoe? I guess it must have a pop-up flash instead! How was the AF, esp on Sport subjects? Noise level on the sensor? What's the max FPS? Bat capacity & SD card writing speed?

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I personally don't care what it looks like, I care how it functions. This isn't a selfie camera - this camera is for folks who care about the content of their photographs, and the tools they use to make them are evaluated on functionality. I never heard of going to Home Depot and buying a hammer or a drill based upon it's styling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    :smile:

19. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    I really like my EM-1, any color is fine.......it is nice to have two bodies in the long run and they may will be dressed differently, 1 Black and 1 Silver.........this is what I did with my OM-2n's. jus sayin.......probably looks better with a black lens on it or a lens on it period.......from what has been posted!

Thanks for Sharing!

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Check out these babies:
    http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/base-camp-x-hardcore-hammers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.