1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Silver E-M1 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zulfur666, Feb 19, 2015.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I wanted to know from anyone that has the silver E-M1 what are your thoughts, how is the paint holding up? If it scratches off on the dials etc? Considering trading one of my black ones for a silver one (just for the retro look) (miss that from my E-M5 :))

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Since the wife and I shoot wildlife, we definitely wound not want a shiny silver camera body or lens.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Are you serious? The silver E-M1 just accentuates the camera's basic fugliness. Stick to black IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    In Spanish we have a saying: "Para gustos, los colores", that could be translated as: "To suit taste, colors"...

I personally found the silver one more attractive that the dull black, even though I recognize that this version could be useful in certain situations.
    I do have a silver E-M5 and I love it, as it reminds me my old OM-1 and 2 that were silver. I also had the black OM-4, that had a very ugly aging...

• Like Like x 2
  5. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Me gusta eso... :)

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Ah, the ancient dilemma of silver vs black cameras. I lean towards silver myself. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a refurbished silver em1 on the 20% off sale.

7. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Black is the new Silver......

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    ok, I received my silver E-M1... and I like the looks :) , but....
    when I received the package when the UPS guy came, I saw the outside of the box was damaged (sort of something dropped on it and a hole in the box) I opened it in front of the driver to ensure everything is fine. Inside the Olympus box was slightly damaged (seemed to match up where the hole was) I took off the outside carton and inside the contents are fine.
    The camera is fine too, works perfectly. But I am still a bit concerned if the camera might gotten a "hit" when the package was either dropped or something else hit the package and it might effect long term longevity of the camera? Perhaps later it will "act up"?
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's hard to say without pictures, but if something dropped on it, then camera didn't got any shock.
    Moreover, I think camera manufactures are well aware about shipping companies handling practices and design them to survive shipping.
    In most cases you won't even know by the condition of the box if it flew couple feet while unloading or around the truck (insider info from my friends who worked for UPS and Fedex).

10. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
  11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Picture doesn't show up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Should now... it was set to "private" by default. Still learning the new layout.... sorry

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, I can see it now. I wouldn't worry about camera, though damage to the box can be good enough reason for BHPhoto to exchange it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Maybe I'm overworried, afterall the E-M1 is shockproof, freeze-proof, weatherproof, dust-proof ......short of bulletproof (but not sunproof (burns EVF) LOL)

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    See, a black one would have been damaged. :p

• Funny Funny x 1