silver body-only -- does it exist?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sym5, May 7, 2012.

1. sym5

sym5 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    So I'm one of those who pre-ordered with B&H way early (Feb 8), but I went with the silver body-only variant of EM-5, and it sounds like that's the rarest of them all. For now, I'm still waiting patiently and hoping for the best. In the meantime, has anyone even seen this anywhere, much less gotten one from B&H? It seems like most reports of silver sightings are kits, so I'm wondering if Olympus has even started shipping the silver body-only boxes.
  2. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hmm I've heard of silver body only available last month. I had originally ordered the silver body only too and ordered from B&H on March 6th but had a feeling they might be overwhelmed with preorders and I might be quite behind in line. I ended up ordering with a couple of other smaller shops around the country just in case. I preordered with the other shops on April 6th and got a call from both shops on April 12th that they're available but both were for silver kit. I ended up getting the kit from the first store that called me since I decided to get the kit lens anyways. A couple of days later I got call from one of the same stores saying they have the silver body only and see if I still wanted it.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I talked to Dodd Camera today and they have 16 silver ones on order against 10 pre-orders. They have not gotten any in yet.

They did have had two black ones come in and used them to fill their pre-orders.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Olympus uses unicorn tears to get that particular shade of silver hence the know how hard it is to get unicorns to cry? Those things are freakin' giddy all the time.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Mine was silver body only. I only found it after calling about a hundred camera stores, but I can confirm that it exists.
  6. sym5

sym5 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Wow, Amin, sounds like you really had to work for it. OK, as long as it really does exist, I guess I can try to wait a bit longer and hope that Olympus is able to round up some more sad unicorns. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  7. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I lucked out. Everyone wanted me to pre order to get an E-M5. Problem is I decided to go M43 out of the blue. I called an "olympus" authorized dealer and that store chain ONLY got 1 ever in stock :)

Silver body only which I wanted in the first place. I should buy a lottery ticket.
  8. hikeabout

hikeabout New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2010
    Somerville, MA
    Just today I received my silver, body only, em-5 from Amazon that I pre-ordered on Feb. there's hope. Now I kind of wish I'd gone with the black, haha.
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    i'll buy the silver one off you now then =P (no, seriously, I will...)