Silly question on film camera lenses & E-P2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kiynook, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I read that most lenses no matter which manufacturer or which generation are quite sharp at their centers.

So, if these lenses' image circles are for film which itself is 36x24mm in size, does that mean these same image circles on E-P2 sensor will show up as always sharp?

I do know the bokeh on these lenses will not be as good on E-P2.

Thanks.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

In short yes. A bonus of the smaller sensor.

Bokeh worse yes. A drawback of the smaller sensor.

3. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks Bill.

I have a further question as I cannot comprehend why some film camera lenses are sharper on my E-P2 than others.

Is it because of manufacturers' specifications? I read somewhere that Olympus designers aimed for 50+ lpmm for its E-P2. So, does this mean lens with less than this lpmm are poor?

For example, I find people's ache and blemishes appear clearer on my Planar T* 50mm F1.7 than my FD 50mm F1.4. In one case, even my friend's single strand of grey hair was picked up and she being 30 yrs old was not pleased - photo was taken impromptu at a birthday party indoor under tungsten lights.

As you can guessed, I am wanting to be a bit lazy and avoid having to research and test which film camera lenses are sharper on my E-P2.

Much appreciated.