silly question about yongnuo flashes and the em1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Islesfan91, May 16, 2015.

1. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    so it looks like doing some searching that the yongnuo 560 flash (canon) can be used in manual mode on the hot shoe for the em1, but has anyone ever tried the 568exII yongnuo on the hot shoe? Or the 622c-tx?

I already have these for my 6d, and it would be fantastic if I could use them on the em1 in manual mode, but I'm not wanting to test it...I'm not sure if it could damage the em1

any recommendations to this silly question?

2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I use 560 IIIs on my EM5, no problems. It's a totally manual flash with just the power pin, so I'd imagine the 560 II works exactly the same way. No worries.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As long as it has a fully manual mode and you intend to use it manual, then just about any flash works.

4. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Shot my lastest wedding with the 560 IV's. No worries at all. I'm actually enjoying shooting with manual flash again. With the 560's, it's so quick and easy to make output adjustments, you can quickly get on target if you're off a bit.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you use flashes designed for Canon TTL (with the extra pins) on Olympus/Panasonic you do so at YOUR OWN RISK; you can damage the camera and or flash.

You have to realize that EVEN WITH THE FLASH SWITCHED TO MANUAL MODE, there are still voltages on the TTL contacts and Canon & Olympus/Panasonic have TTL contacts in the SAME locations, and incompatible voltages can damage equipment.

6. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Most YN canon flashes will work with the E-M1 in manual mode. Even Canon flashes like the 430, 580, and 600s work with my E-M1s in manual mode. I also use YN622C triggers and those work in manual mode. Those using YN-560s with the TX/RX built in will be able to control the other flashes via the 560 interface which is quite awesome. Everything is manual but works really really well. The only thing that I wish YN would do is make TTL with TX/RX for M43 systems. We could really use those tools to do ratio shooting and just General TTL control.

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You should cover the TTL contacts of the non-Olympus compatible TTL flashes or you risk damage to your equipment!

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Damaging equipment isn't a problem unless you're using an E-M5 II, the EM-5 II has one live pin which it can put significant current through, the other models are generally pretty safe.

Fuji flashes will work on the EM-1/5 also (on other cameras they only fire full power, the Olympus cameras can integrate with them on a basic level for manual control however not TTL). I haven't risked them on a 5 II however as I'm not that stupid.

9. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    I'm using Yongnuo 560 II with my Pen E5, and have no problems at all.