Silly Newbie WiFi question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kemo53, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Kemo53

Kemo53 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Merry Christmas; please forgive my ignorance. I have an EPL-5 (and love it) and got an Eye-Fi card for Christmas. The Eye-Fi app works fine on my iPhone but I downloaded the Olympus Share app from Olympus and it wants me to scan a UPC screen from "your wi-fi equipped Olympus Camera". There doesn't seem to be any such screen on the camera. My question is: Is there a difference between Olympus Wi-Fi and a third party vendor like Eye-Fi ? Is the EPL 5 equipped or capable, I suppose. The eye fi app works fine, if a bit slow, but the Olympus app looks better. Thank you.

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The E-PL5 does not have built-in wi-fi, and you will not be able to use the Olympus share application with it. You will need a specific Eye-Fi application to go with your card instead. So far, the Olympus cameras equipped for wi-fi are the E-M1, E-P5 and E-PL6 (sold in Asia only).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Merry Christmas! There is a difference between Eye-Fi and the Olympus WiFi and they are not compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It is not possible to use the Olympus wifi app with the EPL5 and an eye-fi card to download photos. You can use the EPL5 with a Flashair card and the Olympus app. You can only use the 'remote control function' in the app with a wifi enabled camera such as the E-P5 and E-M1. One thing you can do is use the eye-fi card to import your photos and then the Olympus app to edit them and apply filters. One of the advantages of the eye-fi card though is that it works very well with a number of third party apps. I use it with Photosmith because of its close integration with Lightroom. Others like Shuttersnitch because of its ability to tether.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And Stylus 1 (just recently released model) like a mini OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I must say I am pretty disappointed in the wifi on the E-M1 - so much so that I simply dont use it anymore. Conversely I have recently bought 2 more eye-fi cards, taking my count up to 4. The E-M1 works ok with app and if that is all you want it for, I guess that's ok. Theoretically, the significant function advantage it offers is the remote control function - in practice this simply doesnt work very well. Constant disconnections are common (although could probably be avoided if you stood next to the camera on a tripod). It is also klunky to use as every time you take a shot a preview of the shot appears on your smart device and you have to exit out of the preview before you can take another shot. Hopefully all these problems will be sorted in future software updates.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kemo53

Kemo53 New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Thank you (all) for your responses. You actually confirmed what I suspected… the difference between equipped and capable. The Eye-Fi card and app work well but the write time to the phone is slower than I hoped. Not a big issue, I suppose. Anyway, thanks for the replies

8. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Can the wifi import RAW?

9. ornithology

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Sorry I should be specific. I meant can the eye-fi import raw using third party app (ie. photosmith). If not, what card and app has the best combo? And also if I was to use LR5?

10. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I just started doing a little testing on this. I was using the Canon 6D to send files wirelessly to the computer (with WFT Pairing and EOS Utility, included with the camera), but when I switched to the E-M1 I was rather disappointed that you can't tether with either WIFI or USB.

A buddy brought an Eye-Fi card over a couple of nights ago and I've only just began testing, but from my initial testing I've found that it's largely unreliable. Slow transfers and it only sends 2 or 3 before it loses connection and stops transferring anything at all. The fix may be something simple though, like I may have to position my wireless router in a better location. I'll do more testing this week.

But to answer your question, using the included software, you can download RAW files to a directory of your choice, then use LR's Auto Import feature to watch that folder and import them into LR as soon as they arrive so all you do is press the shutter button and wait.

For reference, I'm using the Eye-Fi X2 Pro. There's also an Eye-Fi Mobi, and they've just announced beta support for software for wireless transfer to your computer.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/3330945801/eyefi-mobi-card-direct-transfer-desktop-windows

• Like Like x 1
  11. ornithology

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Man that's really too bad. I've heard this from multiple sources. There doesn't seem to be any reliable WIFI transfer source at the moment. Even the built in wireless devices seem to have a weak connection. I'm thinking the easiest way is just to bring a laptop with a built in SD slot or get the camera kit for an IPAD MINI. A shame the technology is not reliable. Going in the right direction though...