Silkypix?

jere lee

Mu-43 Regular
How many use Silkypix for their Panasonic files and are you happy with your results? I've noticed several use it, just wondered if there were a lot of people who like it.

jere lee

Mu-43 Regular
How many use Silkypix for their Panasonic files and are you happy with your results? I've noticed several use it, just wondered if there were a lot of people who like it.

don't get much response here, do you?

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Frankly, i don't think I personally know anyone who uses Silkypix. I use iPhoto and Aperture myself. I'm sure Silkypix gets the job done and it's possible versions included with cameras from different manufacturers are enhanced by the cameramakers' own programmers. But, from what I've read in professional reviews, Silkypix is kind of balky and non-intuitive. I don't think it would be anyone's first choice. But, again, I'm sure it gets the job done and if one cannot afford another photo processor, it will probably suffice.

EDIT: even though the latest version of Silkypix Developer Studio is 5.0, the version that came with my Panasonic GX7 is 3.1 SE. I'm assuming that's what you have. I can't find many reviews or feedback on it, either. There is this string about it on the dpreview forums; one of the posts has a link to a tutorial.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37162000

Jason C

Mu-43 Veteran
When I had my G3, I tried Silkypix, and in my opinion, it is the WORST native editor I have ever used. Slow, horrible jpeg conversions, just a nightmare compared to using LR. That's me...

Jason

QualityBuiltIn

Mu-43 Veteran
Silkypix is just the freebie software that many manufacturers bundle with their cameras. No-one (relatively speaking, I'm sure they've sold more than about 6 copies worldwide) actually ever buys it.

I have a copy that came with a Fujifilm compact. I tried it twice.

Regarding the forum's response rate - you'll get loads of response if you catch folk's imagination. No response = no interest. That's not a dig at you but it speaks volumes about how little interest there is in Silkypix.

jere lee

Mu-43 Regular
When I had my G3, I tried Silkypix, and in my opinion, it is the WORST native editor I have ever used. Slow, horrible jpeg conversions, just a nightmare compared to using LR. That's me...

Jason

I've downloaded Lightroom 5 and have been working with both of them, honestly I can't see the difference you describe. No doubt Lightroom is a much more thought out software and does more, but it's not free.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I tried the early versions that came free while it was being developed and had a later version that came with a camera (may have been Panasonic LX2) and it was as terrible to use as ever. People who used it said it rendered colours etc from RAW better than the others, but I didn't see that in anything I tried. I never got the 'taste' for Silkypix.

Latest threads

Top Bottom