Silica Gel Brands?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tjdean01, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I bought a silica gel canister on ebay, many of which claim to be "Pelican" brand but don't say "Pelican" anywhere on the package. The one I bought was like the photo below. I DO NOT want that kind anymore. First of all, apparently the Blue to Pink stuff is the old style, uses cobalt which isn't good, and, mainly, the friggin' thing fell apart in my Pelican case! I don't want to vacuum it out yet because it's the only canister I have.

So, on Amazon I found some of the stuff that turns from Orange to White. This seems to be better and safer to humans. But how do I know which is a name brand, if any? The stuff I bought first I actually did a lot of reading about and the damn thing fell apart in my hand. Also, I want the thin 0.5" canister, not the thick 1" ones. I'll be buying probably 4 of them with one in the case at all times so when I reactivate I'll be doing 3 at a time so I don't have to have the oven on for those long periods too often.

Any advice welcomed. I was about to blindly buy the ones in the amazon add but not if they fall apart :(
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been using those ones for some time and haven't had any fall apart yet. They were the only type available, three or so years ago when I bought them.
  3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    We used to used cartridges like that for our old FTIR instrument which had a slot for them in the optical compartment. Over the life of the instruments we brought around 20 of them, and had quite a few get loose so they lost particles. Similar cartridges are available in a wide variety of shapes & sizes from laboratory suppliers.

It might solve your problems to simply tape around the join, though you may need to do it again after reconditioning the cartridges in an oven.
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Buy a hygrometer that records max and min and monitor things, you may find at it does not do as well as you thought over time. I live in a temperate costal area and humidity and mold are big issues. I ended building a dry cabinet based on a peltier effect device. My next move is a commercial air dehumidifier in a sealed cupboard.
  5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I've never had good luck with the color changing (especially "rechargable" in the oven type) beads. I also ended up with one of the cabinets referenced above.
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Round here, humidity averages 85-90% throughout the year, so a drybox is mandatory. If it's something you're worried about, definitely look into a dry cabinet or similar device.