1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silent Shutter and Flash Sync Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kazooless, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    This weekend I was testing out my new 75mm lens with off camera flash. I couldn't figure out why the flash wasn't in sync with the shutter. It would go off, but it must have been before or after the shutter was open. I tried all sorts of shutter speeds within the syn limit and even tried different sync speed settings. The only thing I didn't get to was trying the rear curtain.

Anyway, I finally changed the shutter from silent to anti-shock and magically everything worked like normal. Obviously this is firmware version 4.0 since that is where silent shutter was introduced.

Can anyone else confirm the same behavior? Do you think this is by design or constraint?

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Silent shutter can't be used with flash. The sensor is scanned sequentially. It takes longer than the flash duration. Something in the range of 1/10 second. Maybe faster on newer models.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Fred is correct.

It is a physical / electronic limitation of the e-shutter design. Panasonic "greys out" the flash option whenever the electronic shutter is enabled, so you can't even try to select it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Thanks guys. That explains it. It was driving me nuts until I finally figured it out! :D