Silent follower from SF Bay area

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
hi,
I am a new member from SF Bay area.

I have been following this forum for the last two years -if not daily, at least few times a week- and I learned a lot from this community (thank you all for keeping up the positive, friendly and inviting attitude here!). I also attended to SF photo walk organized by forum members last year and had chance to meet some group members in person. I just realized I have been recommending this forum to friends, but have not registered myself..shame..:tongue:

I got into mu-43 2 years ago with the purchase of my PL1 14-42 and 40-150mm kit which served me well with a side effect of some buying vintage lenses (m42's and fd's moslty) and a VF-2 over time (my wife was not very happy over this new habbit, but I am getting her into this as well -slowly.. she just got a sony-nex. as a sony fan, now she is keeping an eye on A7 -beyond our budget but nice try). I just got a a pm2. My other camera system is a pentax k-x with few prime and vintage lenses; for some reason it has been hard for me to give up this camera, maybe the inevitable separation is getting close. anyone interested? is it is in mint condition.

Interests:
I want to learn more on composition and post processing.. More time need here, a scarce commodity.
I would be interested in participating small scale occasional photo walks with other members in the bay area.

Disclaimers:
Bad thing about me: my composition skills are just terrible.. cropping does not save the day but helps?
Worse thing about me: not sure if there is potential for improvement.
Worst thing about me: highlighted problems above are still not preventing me enjoying this hobby, I like it..

best wishes to all..

QualityBuiltIn

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Lodos,

Your M4/3 credentials are sound. I can't compose a picture yet - still trying to get the technical stuff like focus and exposure right. I even struggle to get my horizons level. Composition is like art and art takes time.

How about your Bay Area qualifications? Exodus? Testament? Death Angel? Laaz Rockitt? or just Metallica?

All the best,

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome Lodos!

Take your time. The more you shoot, the more things you will see. Stay around & not hesitate to ask questions.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Welcome. Lots of folks here have also used Pentax stuff. The EPM2 can produce great images with your help :smile: If you use the IBIS be sure to set the anti-shock to 1/8 s.

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome, Lodos.
This may be heresy, but I'd work on composition first. (I wish I had.) The other stuff is less important to "get right", and in fact, most modern cameras do it for you.

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
Welcome Lodos!

A long time ago, a mentor asked me if I knew how I could become a 10x better photographer? His answer: shoot 10x as much as you currently do!

Composition -- yeah, it's important. Honestly, its a no-brainer once you learn the several basic rules of composition (rule of thirds, leading lines, diagonal lines, mergers, etc)

As for post processing -- I'm in love with the Google Nik software collection (in particular, their Silver Efex Pro plugin). All are pretty astounding and will yield excellent results once you master the learning curve necessary to manipulate your images with seamless results). Alien Skin also gets high marks from a fellow pro shooter pal of mine (although I've never used it...)

Anyway, great to have you here (officially that is!). Looking forward to seeing some of your work sooner than later.

Cheers!

Wes

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Lodos,

Your M4/3 credentials are sound. I can't compose a picture yet - still trying to get the technical stuff like focus and exposure right. I even struggle to get my horizons level. Composition is like art and art takes time.

How about your Bay Area qualifications? Exodus? Testament? Death Angel? Laaz Rockitt? or just Metallica?

All the best,

well, I really love the rotate angle function of image processing software since I use it a lot.. what a life saving tool right? I usually lose some angle of view at cost but better than images implementing the whole pacific getting drained towards the south.. he he..

I am relatively new in bay area and oh boy not easy to find heavy metal in my playlists.. but I liked the culture and environment around.. pretty open, colorful.. and scenic..
best wishes,

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you all for warm welcomes,
yes, I am hoping to shoot more.. I am also hoping to post some pictures I have taken, some constructive criticism is key in getting better in anything, a bit faster..
best wishes

Latest threads

Top Bottom