Silencing the GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by robperks, Feb 11, 2011.

1. robperks

robperks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2009
    Ventura, Ca
    I have looked but yet to find an answer, probably poor search words.

Is there a way to make the GF1 shoot silently, i.e. turn off the shutter sound? I am trying to get pics of my 8 month old daughter and the sound wakes her as well as making it almost impossible to sneek candid shots.

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Rob, the GF1 and all m4/3 cameras (I believe) have mechanical shutters. What you are hearing is the actual sound of the shutter, not a simulated sound effect that can be changed or silenced.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Exactly what Don said - on a compact camera the shutter sound is usually simulated for effect and can be set to different volumes or replaced by a bird chirping, cat meowing or similar craziness on some models. Your m4/3 has an electronically controlled mechanical shutter which is not small and will always make the same sound during operation.
  4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    It took me a while to get used to the sound of the shutter on my GF-1 when I got it. Coming from a DSLR, it sort of sounded like it was broke or not taking properly in comparison!
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    At first I thought a m4/3 shutter sounded weird without the familiar thunk of a mirror to accompany it.