1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Silencing the GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by robperks, Feb 11, 2011.

1. robperks

robperks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2009
    Ventura, Ca
    I have looked but yet to find an answer, probably poor search words.

Is there a way to make the GF1 shoot silently, i.e. turn off the shutter sound? I am trying to get pics of my 8 month old daughter and the sound wakes her as well as making it almost impossible to sneek candid shots.

Thanks
    rob

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Rob, the GF1 and all m4/3 cameras (I believe) have mechanical shutters. What you are hearing is the actual sound of the shutter, not a simulated sound effect that can be changed or silenced.

3. Exactly what Don said - on a compact camera the shutter sound is usually simulated for effect and can be set to different volumes or replaced by a bird chirping, cat meowing or similar craziness on some models. Your m4/3 has an electronically controlled mechanical shutter which is not small and will always make the same sound during operation.

4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    It took me a while to get used to the sound of the shutter on my GF-1 when I got it. Coming from a DSLR, it sort of sounded like it was broke or not taking properly in comparison!

5. At first I thought a m4/3 shutter sounded weird without the familiar thunk of a mirror to accompany it.