Silencing the GF1

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
I have looked but yet to find an answer, probably poor search words.

Is there a way to make the GF1 shoot silently, i.e. turn off the shutter sound? I am trying to get pics of my 8 month old daughter and the sound wakes her as well as making it almost impossible to sneek candid shots.

Thanks
rob

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Rob, the GF1 and all m4/3 cameras (I believe) have mechanical shutters. What you are hearing is the actual sound of the shutter, not a simulated sound effect that can be changed or silenced.

Real Name
Nic
Exactly what Don said - on a compact camera the shutter sound is usually simulated for effect and can be set to different volumes or replaced by a bird chirping, cat meowing or similar craziness on some models. Your m4/3 has an electronically controlled mechanical shutter which is not small and will always make the same sound during operation.

m1pui

Mu-43 Veteran
It took me a while to get used to the sound of the shutter on my GF-1 when I got it. Coming from a DSLR, it sort of sounded like it was broke or not taking properly in comparison!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom