Silencing the EP2?

stakhanovite

New to Mu-43
Does anyone know how to turn off the (to my mind rather loud) shutter sound effect on the EP2? Maybe a software hack? Thanks in advance

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Does anyone know how to turn off the (to my mind rather loud) shutter sound effect on the EP2? Maybe a software hack? Thanks in advance
No way at all. It's not an optional, computer generated sound. That sound is the physical shutter closing. If you want a silent camera, you'll need to go get a point and shoot as they tend to use electric shutters (thin film that goes black when charged with a current).

stakhanovite

New to Mu-43
No way at all. It's not an optional, computer generated sound. That sound is the physical shutter closing. If you want a silent camera, you'll need to go get a point and shoot as they tend to use electric shutters (thin film that goes black when charged with a current).
Thanks everythingsablur (sigh). It's pretty much the only quibble I have with the camera. It's actually louder than some of my film cameras. But I'm learning to live with it.

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
It would be interesting to see someone implement something like Leica's "discreet mode" on the shutter, just to help keep the system quiet for those occasional shots where you really want to be discreet.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Buy an ever-ready case for it, use the EVF, and pad the LCD. The half case will dampen some of the sound.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom