1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Significant play in the focus ring

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by s0nus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I picked up a Minolta Rokkor-x 45mm f2 for ~$20 bucks shipped, and the focus ring seems to be broken somehow.

There's ~10 degrees play in it before it catches and actually starts physically moving the lens element to focus. This play exists in the direction that I'm turning the focus. It happens in both directions

It doesn't seem to affect the close end of the focus, as I can focus to ~2 feet. I cannot, however, focus to infinity, and I'm limited at about ~8 feet. The ring catches at 8 feet on the focus scale when rotating back to the left from infinity, thereby focusing closer (I hope this makes sense).

I already contacted the seller to see what they'll suggest. I'm not too terribly pissed since I didn't pay much; but still, the lens was misrepresented.

Anyway, I'm tempted to open this puppy up. Anyone ever come across something like this?

2. I have at least one lens that does this although while the play in the focus is nowhere near as large as you describe with yours, it is still enough to be a pain when trimming the focus.

3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Do you have use of the full focus range, from minimum to infinity?

4. Yes, it still has the full focusing range up to infinity. The play is only very small but enough to be annoying.