Sigma will not design lenses for m43 exclusively

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, May 25, 2013.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    43rumors reports that the official position of Sigma is just to port APS-C lenses to :43: and not design exclusively for the system:

Sigma says they will not design lenses for MFT only. | 43 Rumors

It's certainly a shame but understandable. If they do port more lenses to the system though, we could have two advantages: one, more economical choices, and, two, a couple of totally outstanding lenses not available from other manufacturers.

I have the 35mm f/1.4 and the recently announced 18-35mm f/1.8 in mind. True, they are both quite large for the system. But esp. in the case of the zoom, we have nothing even remotely similar. The only thing that comes close is the Oly 14-35 f/2, which is (IIRC) heavier/bigger, probably more expensive and slower to focus with adapter.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    If the 18-35 comes to m43 I'll be very happy. 36-70 is actually a really nice range for the stuff I shoot, and the constant 1.8, well that's very cool, of course.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'm okay with that. I just want them to start producing some faster glass. These slow primes look fine and all, but they're still slow primes.

4. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Absolutely. 35-70 was my first zoom to my canon tlb, I managed well with it as only lens for my whole "education".

5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Too bad.
    An alternative to the 9-18 and 7-14 would have been nice.

There's still Tamron.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yes, I had a 35-70 Zuiko in the film days that I like a lot, and it was nowhere near at fast as this lens. For me the focal length makes more sense of m4/3 than it does on APS-C

I'll be interested.

7. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Or Tokina.

Tokina has got a dedicated mft-lens, the mirror300.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Not really surprising considering the APS & Full Frame volume sales they make from Nikon, Canon, Sony, & Pentax mounts.

9. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Eh, understandable, though they're kinda missing out. They could use the opportunity to create faster, better, and cheaper lenses than OEM ones. Honestly, I am a litle bit excited to see the performance of their 60mm F2.8 soon on M43.

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Similar price/quality long 2.8s might be possible and welcome.

Some of the familiar focal lengths like 90mm, 135mm, and 180mm would be interesting.

11. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I would be 100% in if Sigma made the 18-35mm F/1.8 for M43... too bad they wont it seems.

When using an adapter AF is non-functional unless you get one of those fancy electronic adapters, right?

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That is correct, but the important thing when it comes to AF is the design of the lens, if it was made for CDAF or not. So the main AF lenses which would have good usable AF would be the ones they make for other non-reflex systems like NEX or NX. However, the mount which has full electric connectivity besides m4/3 on m4/3 is 4/3, and all the lenses Sigma made for 4/3 were designed for PDAF.

As far as them using the same lenses designed for APS-C on m4/3, I have no problem with that. They did the same thing with 4/3 as well. The key to their involvement is providing us with affordable and unique options, which also have full AF capabilities unlike many of our other non-OEM options. The lenses they port over to m4/3 would obviously be those designed for non-reflex systems so the AF should be good.

So what if the lenses are a little over-engineered because they're made for APS-C? As long as they're not under-engineered I won't complain.

13. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012

Thanks for the info. So no go on the AF.

Can the aperture be adjusted in its full range with adapters? I was reading about it but didn't fully understand but it seemed like to me you could only adjust the aperture a limited amount through these adapters and they were really just meant to use the lens mostly wide open.

The Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 lens IMO is a game changer. The size is of concern but you have to expect that for a lens with that kind of aperture and focal range. As soon as I heard of this lens I had dreams of it being available for M43, lol. 36-70mm is probably where I do 90% of my shooting.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Boo! IMHO its a cop out. They could make a 12 or 14mm fast lens that could perform on both systems.

15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sigma has been doing some amazing things lately! The 18-35 f1.8 is insane. I've never in my life heard of anything faster than f2.8 for a zoom...even though I don't own a camera it'll fit (It's an APS-C lens, I own M4/3 and full frame), it's still exciting. Their 35 1.4 is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and Nutella, and there are rumours of a 135 f1.8 OS floating around...I wish they'd make some fast primes for m4/3 or a good affordable UWA zoom (kind of like what the 10-20 is for the DSLR world).

16. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Or more fast zooms. I'd like to see something like the 18-35 f1.8 for M43. Or more lenses, at that. I don't think they know how much market share for lenses they could hold for M43 if they could create faster, equivalent lenses.

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I mean each to their own and all that but can you really see yourself putting an 18-35 1.8 designed for APS-C on your M43 camera. It weighs 810g for a start.

And really it only gives you a little less and a little more than the 200g PL25 1.4.

18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The problem with fast lenses (especially zooms) is that *GENERALLY* (and I know there are exceptions to the rule) they need a lot of glass...the 18-35 is a massive beast considering it only covers APS-C (it's 810g, and 78mm x 121mm)...by comparison a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is 74mm x 81mm and weighs 430g). Even my 16-35 (which covers full frame) is smaller than the Sigma!

Sure, M4/3 allows for development of smaller lenses, but Sigma won't do it...so, at best, we could hope for lenses made to cover bigger image sensors with a M4/3 mount. But, as mentioned above, this would make for a massive overall package. Quite frankly/, if I had a choice of having that lens on an OM-D or a Canon SL1/Rebel, I'd go with the latter. The bigger sensor would allow for shallower DOF, a wider angle of view and the OVERALL (lens + body) package wouldn't be all that drastically different.

A huge part of the reason I chose the OM-D over the EOS-M or the Canon SL1/100D is that while those bodies are small, their lenses aren't...OM-D has some wicked tiny lenses to go with it...I don't think there's a huge market for people who want to slap a massive brick of a lens (which, on M43 turns into a rather ho-hum 36-70mm focal length) on a tiny body...

19. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It has to be large - even though it's an aps-c lens, it's a constant 1.8. Granted it's a relatively short zoom, but I'm amazed they managed to get it down to that size in the first place. I always assumed a super fast zoom would be massive - like 70-200mm sized.

20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Excuse me... but perhaps we forget that the Olympus 14-35 f/2 is 900gr??

The Sigma zoom, if implemented on :43: could be an alternative for people adapting the Oly SHG lens.