Sigma to make Micro Four thirds camera?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Photorebel, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    • Like Like x 2
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

MFT + Foveon sensor would be EXTREMELY interesting to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    That would be awesome IF that happens, I've been wanting to try a Foveon sensor.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    My thoughts:

Makes sense to Sigma - suddenly their very niche Foveon products become a viable option to any enthusiast with MFT lenses, ie. oodles of people. Who was ever really going to spend $10K investing in a Sigma specific mount, just to access Foveon with interchangeable lenses? But Foveon with my m.ZD 75mm and Nokton 25mm? Yes please!
    Makes sense to Oly/Pana - the way Sigma has made cameras in the past isn't going to threaten mainstream sales. They would lose nothing and gain addition momentum within the system.
    Makes sense to Micro Four Thirds - Three manufacturers, each making serious products and each with a distinctly different approach. Consumers love choice and they will drool. You'd also assume Sigma would look more seriously at MFT-specific lenses (a good thing considering some of their excellent recent releases...)
    Makes sense to us - Options, options, options! I can have a GM1 as my carry-everywhere, an EM1 for my do-everything, and a Merrill for landscape, and they can all take a m.ZD 17mm. Yes please x2.

Gees I hope they do it.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Oh yes. I'd get one right away too, even if the camera is made of plywood. If they don't price it like the SD1 at launch.
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    According to 43rumors, the sigma rumour is only partially true. I don't know what that means though.

From what I gather sigma hasn't put much in developing the m4/3rds format, their focus seems to be more on the apsc. So I'm rather dubious about a foveon 4/3rds interchangeable camera, though I would be happy to be proved wrong.
  7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whats so good about foveon sensors?
  8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    MMM I would be well pleased if they did release in µ43 I have almost pulled the trigger on Sigma SLr's quite frequently, in a mount I had lenses there would be a high chance of buying as long as its reasonably priced and not a right dogs dinner.
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    But the price : let's say they stick a m4/3rds mount on the front of a DP, tweak the AF routines ... they'll go and do their insane price thing to it. Mark my words.
  10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    If Sigma comes up with a MFT camera with the same image quality as the recent DPm's, and they try to adress some of the more annoying issues these cameras have (first on the list, PP software support!), and IF it is in the same ballpark as the compacts, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

It will be a "specialized" camera, if we'll be honest, but a valuable addition to MFT nevertheless.

Just one "request": since they already have a sensor with a bigger surface, it makes sense to make it multi-aspect.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cutting the existing Foveon sensor down to Micro 4/3 size leaves you with about 10mp. Multiply that by the most optimistic estimate of the apparent Foveon resolution advantage and you still end up behind the current Micro 4/3 Bayer sensors.
  12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I stand corrected; haven't thought it this way
  13. usayit

Quality not quantity of each and every pixel.... its part of the reason why Foveon sensor is a niche product. With that said, they still will have to deal with a marketing problem.... convincing the public who has been brain-washed that more pixels is better.

I personally would buy one in a heartbeat but I'm not a good representative of the consumer market.

When they advertise 16mp sensor (for example), is that a measure of sensor pixels (on a Bayer GGRB) or the effective pixels on the resulting image AFTER interpolation?
  14. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    foveon is not a question of mp's, its about a different layered array of mp's. either you see the difference it makes with your own eyes or you dont. its not an argument that is won scientifically, its won visually.

as for sigma 'correcting whats wrong with m4/3 cameras', whatever that is, dont hold your breath. while they produce visually stunning results, the sigma hardware has always and in every incarnation been freaking awful. bad autofocus, bad viewfinders, bad software. they cant get anything right but IQ. imo of course.
  15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    This would certainly be an interesting development, it would be good for the system as a whole. The more manufacturers the better in the long run. :smile:
  16. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Whatever they release, they should do an open source firmware. Their UI gets no love from anyone. Let the community fix it.
  17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
  18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Clinically sharp images. Shocking, really. Here are 100% crops vs a Pentax K-01 with the vaunted 16MP Sony sensor and a very nice lens:

Sigma DP2 v. Pentax K-01/FA31 by john m flores, on Flickr

I've also compared it to a 16MP Fuji X-Pro1 and a 24MP Pentax K-3, both APS-C. No contest, Sigma DP2M in a walk.

Sigma M43 could mean cameras that compete with 24MP APS-C sensors for detail.

ISO is another thing altogether.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. usayit

Of course.... I've been sold on the Foveon sensor for years. I just could never get passed the bodies they put them into.

My question was framed around the marketing material megapixel specification. When they say 10mp Foveon sensor, it pretty much translates to 10mp. When they say 16mp Bayer sensor, are they saying its 16 G-G-R-B mp or the final after interpolation.
  20. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    thats because the bodies they put them into are god awful. as is their af. as is their vf. as is any iso higher than 400. as is their software. if it were IQ alone, no one would ever buy anything else!