Sigma & Tamron

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Razer, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    As m4/3 cotinues to grow in popularity do you see either Sigma or Tamron making 3rd party lenses for this mount in the future.

If it does end up being the case we could see some really intresting lenses.

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Hi Razer

I have a sigma 10 20mm Nikon fit, but unfortunately it does not have an aperture ring.....so will not "work" with the Nikon to M4/3 adapter that I have

It is a "big lump" but it would be nice to give it a try.

Although it has good reports, I am not really a fan, I bought it because it was a a lot less than the cost of an equivalent Nikon, I should have bought the Nikon 14 24, but it is now £1,300 new!!!!!!!

3. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Hi Bill I to have a Sigma 10-20mm but wouldn't dream of putting it on the G1 even if it worked.

But it would be great if Sigma made a smaller version for the m4/3 mount, I think it would sell very well.

That the only problem with m4/3 they only have one dedicated Ultra wide angle lens be it the 7-14mm and that not cheap.

Olympus have the 9-18mm due out next month I think, hopefully it be pretty decent & less than £400.

4. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I keep looking at the CV fixed wides.........I have just sold some stuff and have £350 "burning a hole" - so it is going to be a CV wide or the 20mm f1.7

I like my Ultron 25mm 1.7 on my G1

I hate the feel of these plastic lenses, (the 20mm f1.7), much prefer a lens with some metal in the body!!.............

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Bill, I know what you mean about the build quality of legacy lenses... but the cost, image quality and auto focus capabilities plus the light weight of native m4/3rds lenses (well, at least the 20mm f1.7) swings it for me.

The Lumix 7-14 is really well made (plastic) too... hope the price drops when Olympus bring their 9-18.

Cheers

Brian

6. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    The 7-14mm will proberly drop when the Pound finally get's strong again against the Yen, if anything we could see some price rises Nikon just done it again some of their lenses now are into silly money to what they use to be in 2008.

Just over a year ago before the resession hit prices for camera gear had never been so cheap, I picked up a brand new D300 for £849.

If the Panasonic 7-14mm came out in middle of 2008, it proberly only cost about £600 tops.

7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    One of the "best investments" over the past two years has been second hand Leica glass - some has almost doubled in value, certainly seen a 50% increase - CV secondhand values have also been very strong

(there is only one way - "plastic fantastic" lens values go)

OK - I know that they are for using not investing in

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's very likely. I'd view their participation as most welcome and would love to see Cosina join in as well!

9. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Just been looking on ebay at some old glass, prices do seem to shot up to what they use to be, but then again all this old glass has become popular again due to m4/3

I have an old Canon AV-1 with a 50mm F1.4 FD lens attached both in perfect condition to it that been sat in seal cloth bag & a box for years, use to be my Dads when he was in his youth.

Im tempted to either buy an adapter & use it or sell this lens for a tidy profit :smile:

10. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I'm probably as old as your Dad and still have my A1, (bought in 1979), with the same lens which is supposed to perform very well on M4/3.....there are some images over on dpreview.........I'd buy an adapter if I were you...........all this legacy glass is fun

11. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I also think my Dad still got his Olympus Trip 35, I remember that from when i was a kid.

He use to take it everywere when we went on trips to the Zoo ect.

I'll ask him at the end of the week when i take the kids round.

12. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Still got my Trip 35 - most of my wedding shots were taken with it by my "little" brother - great camera

13. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Sigma and Tamron make one lens for different mounts. That way they can sell a lot of them. I don't think they will develop smaller lenses for m43 only..

14. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Proberly right chow, unless Nikon Canon & Sony start making their versions and keeping their micro aps-c lenses reasonable small, then they just might convert a few over to m4/3 aswell.