1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma SA -mount adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AnttiV, Apr 20, 2012.

1. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    (Tried searching, didn't find.)

I'm getting a Lumix G3 (soon-ish) and I currently have a Sigma SD10 and three lenses. Rather than sell the camera for dirt-cheap (it's old, nobody wants to buy it for any relative amount of money), I'd like to be able to use the lenses on the new body, even if I loose AF (and/or aperture control).

Is there any adapters out there that allows the use of Sigma SA-mount lenses on a m43 system body?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't believe so.

The physical adapter wouldn't be too hard to create (the SA uses the same registration distance as Canon's EF, but a bayonet similar to Pentax's K mount). But the lens apertures are controlled electronically, using the same signaling as Canon's EF. So a purely mechanical adapter would leave you stuck shooting wide-open.

There are Canon EOS-to-m4/3 adapters that support changing the aperture, but the good ones are quite expensive, and you'd still need to do some modifications to get your SA lenses to fit.

Unless you're planning on keeping your Sigma body, you're probably best off selling the lenses and replacing them with legacy MF equivalents.

DH

3. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Darn, that's a shame. As I said, I would've been okay with a purely mechanical adapter and loosing aperture control (ie. Leaving the lens wide open). But can't be helped then. I am probably keeping the body, since the most "generous" offer has been 200e for the whole set, body, lenses, bags, all. And I'm not ready to sell for that price. Ill probably keep the Sigma as a backup then. Or for those times that I grave too much for the Foveon image character :)

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That works too! The downside of less common systems is that the secondhand market is very temperamental. Good luck,

DH

5. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    I read around that the SA mount is physically identical to Pentax K -mount. As I don't require any electronics to be working at all (I can shoot wide-open, the lenses aren't that fast anyway), I ordered a PK to M43 adapter from ebay. Will let you know if that works when the adapter finally arrives. (will take tiiiimme, ordered from HK... :)

6. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Adapter arrived today. No luck. Apparently it is possible to use Pentax K/PK -mount lenses with a Sigma SA -body, but not the other way around. SA lenses will not fit to a K/PK mount, no matter how much one yells :D

Well, now I have a K/PK mount adapter free for some other lenses.. :)