Sigma on m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JoJo, Apr 1, 2013.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have a Sigma 1.4/50 EX DG HSM which I have been using on my E5 (no adapter needed) I LOVE this lens! Now I want to use it on an O-MD. I use a Panasonic 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and it works but it is incredibly slooooooow to focus. Manual focus is fine. Child photography requires fast focus and my eyes are old and need AF. Any advice? No smart a%*#@ answers, please.

2. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Unfortunately, there really isn't a whole lot you can currently do to increase autofocus speed of 4/3 lenses on :43: bodies. If you want to keep using the lens on the E-M5, you're just going to have to live with the slow AF speeds.

The best suggestion I have is to pick up another lens, or two. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens, and relatively inexpensive.

3. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Focus speed will always be a casualty when using adapters, at least for the time being.

If focus speed is critical with the OM-D, I recommend getting the Olympus 45mm 1.8. Stellar leans and native m4/3. Or kick it old school and go to manual focus! We did photograph children before auto-focus! ;-)

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I did too! Old age and eye surgery play hell with your eyes though!

5. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Unfortunately this is true with any 4/3 lens being adapter to micro 4/3. I ended up dumping all but my precious 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 zoom lens which I focus manually. I think you'll find the 45mm lens a very nice portrait lens.