Sigma may have some new m4/3 lenses!

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just saw this rumor on 43 rumors. http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-sigma-will-launch-new-art-lenses-with-mft-mount-at-photokina/

Since 43rumors asked - "Now you can dream of some nice fast lens. What’s your wish?"

I am hoping for a zoom similar to their 17-70mm f2.8-4 APS lens. I love mine on my Nikon. It would be something like a 12-50mm. This is a better lens for those of use who can't afford the f2.8 constant zooms. Plus I would rather loss a stop but gain focal length anyway.

After that I would like to see some primes, especially extra wide or long tele.

What are your wishes. Keep in mind this rumor may very well be just that since it hasn't been verified yet.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd love it if they released their 50mm f1.4(FF), 35mm f1.4 (FF), 18-35mm f1.8(APS-C), and 30mm f1.4 (APS-C) ... in a mount somewhat like the old tamron adaptall. Released parallel to these would be various focal reducers or hollow adapters which maintain full auto focus and stabilization, acting as translators for various camera brands to a generic sigma base coding.

Thus with one lens you would have say a 30mm f1.4 and 21.3mm f1.0 using two different adapters, while maintaining full electronic control via camera at a very high level due to the fact that sigma is a member of the four thirds group and knows the full details of the protocol. The very high quality optics sigma has been making lately would be an added bonus, can you imagine a focal reducer with the quality of coatings and glass they have been producing in their art series?

...too much to ask for? yeah probably, I think I'll just stick to buying the canon mount versions and waiting for the metabones adapter to come along, because that totally makes more sense.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
12-25/2! :biggrin:

This is exciting, but most likely these lenses will be APS-C or even FF(FE) designs, which means extra size, weight, and probably not any truly wide lenses for M43.

That said, what I would really like to see:
8/2.8 or 4
17/1.4

Probably more realistic, but would still be cool:
35/1.4
50/1.4
100 or 135/2.8

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Looking forward to the day they release a lens specifically designed for µ4/3. Meantime, how much worse is our Oly 75 than the Sigma Art 50? Same price.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
18.5 is about 28mm for ASP-C, so another fast prime in that range would be awesome. The optical quality of the P20 with the focus speed of the O17, a 1.4 aperture, and a $300 price tag sounds good.

PMCC

Mu-43 Regular
I just want a 23mm F1.8 for $150. Is that too much to ask?

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I am looking forward to this. Nothing on the Sigma website. I love the 60/2.8 - even the quirky design. It is one of the best lenses in u4/3 mount in my opinion and an extraordinary value (currently $209 at B&H).

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well I would be happy with a really good 67.5mm, don't mind it being a 2.8 over 1.8 if that boosts IQ, but I do like 135mm on 35mm. Other than that I would like to see them do a µ43 body with the Foveon sensor, a good 12-75 would be nice as a walk around and any high quality lens is always a bonus.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will agree with that! I love my 135mm on FF. I have wanted a 67.5mm ever since I started m4/3. 12-75mm, hmmm that sounds like a nice range but I wonder what aperture they could pull off for that.

I would be happy with a constant f4, most of the time I am between 5.6 and 8 so fast glass is not really a concern for the way I would use it, just a top quality lens.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well I would be happy with a really good 67.5mm, don't mind it being a 2.8 over 1.8 if that boosts IQ, but I do like 135mm on 35mm. Other than that I would like to see them do a µ43 body with the Foveon sensor, a good 12-75 would be nice as a walk around and any high quality lens is always a bonus.

If you don't mind it being a 2.8, you should check out the Sigma 60. It is optically superb, and at that long of a focal length, the difference (while noticeable) is not huge.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you don't mind it being a 2.8, you should check out the Sigma 60. It is optically superb, and at that long of a focal length, the difference (while noticeable) is not huge.

I will pick one up soon going on the examples shown here and the quality of the 30mm it seems the best compromise over no 67.5mm.

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I'm thinking whatever new lenses are introduced will be designed for APS-C mirrorless bodies, which will make them a tad bigger than they need to be for micro4/3. And the Sigma "Art" lenses released so far are pretty big and optically complex. On the positive side, the micro4/3 sensor will be using the sweeter central part of the image circle so vignetting and corner sharpness should be nearly perfect. So I'm expecting some great new lenses for micro4/3 as long as you can tolerate the size and the price tag. And it's great to see yet more high quality lenses coming for micro4/3.

I would most like to see a 9 or 10mm prime optimized for landscape work, super sharp but hopefully not too enormous in size. The maximum aperture doesn't have to be that great, f/1.8 or 2 would be nice for indoors etc., but I'm more interested in keeping the quality as high as possible when stopped down to f/8 or so.

--Dave

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

metalmania

Mu-43 Veteran
You know, every time Sigma cuts the price, it means new lenses are coming.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I hope they're redesigning the lenses to include a rubber ribbed focus grip! It's annoying to always wipe away fingerprints with the all-glossy barrels!

If the lens goes up $50 with no changes but a ribbed focus grip, I'll haunt you!!! I can wipe a lot of fingerprints for $50!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom