SIGMA Lenses for M4/3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Massimo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    I would like to hear the Forum opinion on the Sigma lenses. I keep reading rave reviews and the price certainly cannot be beat. Thank you gentlemen.
  2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Check the sample image showcase threads for the Sigma lenses. General consensus is that Sigma lenses are very, very good just on performance alone; factoring in the price they are tremendously good value. The 60mm is considered the cream of the crop, not sure the 30mm 1.4 has achieved the same cult following.
  3. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    I appreciate the reply. That quality and price you'd hate not to buy one. Thanks again.
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I've only used the 19 and 60. And I think the 19 is a good lens but that's all, I like it largely due to its FOV; 60 on the other hand, is probably the sharpest lens money can buy, with minimum CA and distortion, or any other optical imperfections you can think of. I've also heard that the new 30 1.4 is good, sharper than PL25 edge to edge, but softer in the center than PL25 wide open.

And what I found, although many might disagree, is that Sigma lenses seem to have subtle yellow cast, it's not a big deal but to me it is there.
  5. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    The Sigma 60mm 2.8 is incredibly sharp and great rendering. It's basically a poor-man's Olympus 75mm (i read somewhere that they shared a similar design?).

I had one and used it for a long time as a portrait lens and short telephoto; does both jobs well. Sold it now, as it's a little too long and slow to use indoors.
  6. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

I love my Sigma 60mm f2.8, would recommend it to anybody!
  7. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    My Sigma 60mm doesn't get used nearly enough, but when it does, boy is it good. Cheap as chips too :)
  8. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    I have the 19mm 2.8 and I'm always happy to have it on the pointy end of my e-m1 . I've been doing a little research on the sigma 30mm 1.4 , but it all is based on the sony e-mount. I don't know if there is a thread here about it. there is room in the camera bag bag for a new lens and I wanted the nifty fifty. The choices I have are , Oly 25mm 1.8 , PL 25mm 1.4 , sigma 30mm 1.4. Th Oly and pl are great lenses as we know, but I'm swinging towards the sigma , as the 30mm will push me a little further away from the 19mm I already have. Plus , I think the 30mm would make a good body portrait lens.
  9. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    I don't what I did ,but I posted before I'd finished my post. Here is a recent pic taken with the sigma 19mm. Early morning light and I have no complaints about the sharpness.
    f/6.3, 1/400, ISO 200
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I am truly satisfied with my Sigma 19.
  11. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    i have the 30mm f1.4 and its great - much larger than the f1.8s but its plenty sharp, quick to focus etc etc. In the UK it was £230 new so i couldn't resist
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Another 'big-up' for the 60mm here. As for the 30mm 2.8, it's just not inspired me (though I may have judged it unfairly since the body I used it on never gave me the best results). Despite its slower AF, the P20mm is my go-to choice around the 'normal' focal length range.
  13. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I have only used the Sigma 60mm but boy, I love that lens. It is a perfect example of why I adore this system - a very usable focal length that delivers unbelievable quality for not many pennies.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I've used to own the 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 and now own the 60/2.8. I loved the 30/2.8 and liked the 19/2.8. Both produced sharp photos, but for whatever reason, I felt more attached to the 30/2.8. Then I bought the Panasonic 20/1.7 and I never felt like using those Sigmas again, so I sold them.

The 60/2.8 doesn't get a lot of use for me, but it is a good lens, as others point out. (It's too much of a telephoto for my taste, but is wonderful for portraits.)
  15. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the 19mm, 30mm and 60mm and love them all. I got one of those cheap wide angle and macro adapter lens to go on the front of my 19mm lens and its fun to play with.
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would find it hard to justify the 19mm/2.8 when the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 is smaller, faster, and sharper. And the 30mm/2.8 is a hard sell against the Panasonic 25mm/1.7.

But the 60mm/2.8 seems like a great lens, at a great price, and I think I'd actually prefer the 30/1.4 to the PL25/1.4 to get that extra little bit of subject separation (since 50mm equivalent is already on the long side of true normal), and the price is very, very competitive.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The 60 is worth twice the price (or more). For me the length wasn't something I used often so I sold it one. If I had a need for the length I wouldn't hesitate buying it again.
  18. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Had the sigma, as my first telephoto option before I was able to afford the P35-100 f2.8. With the zoom lens having the same aperture, I gave the prime to my Girlfriend who will only have a slow zoom. Maybe she will take some nice portraits of me?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    This is what my S19 can do, Straight into the sun during sunset. Still visible detail just below the sun AND som beautifull sunrays.
    1/200 sec at f8 ISO 200

160719 De Eendenkooi 26.
    • Like Like x 6