1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma into the 'micro' body market as well.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by OzRay, Feb 23, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022210sigmainterview.asp

The interesting thing here will be whether they stick to their standard sensor size (1.7) or go for m4/3s. They are part of the 4/3s 'whatever', so they could conceivably use the specs, with a very slightly reduced Foveon sensor.

If they locked into the m4/3s format, that would really begin to consolidate the format, but would still allow them to create lenses for whatever Sony/Samsung etc may bring out. But there's no sign of what the two gorillas plan to do, so waiting around may make for tense circumstances.

Interesting times.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  2. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Sure would be nice to get a third party lens manufacturer on board, the more the merrier.

Those Gorillas, agree they must be getting a little twitchy

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Gorilla 1 - Nikon

IMHO - M4/3 is really, (commercially), about dedicated glass - MF is a great inspiration, but the novelty may soon fade (a little), unless M4/3 MF ease of use improves dramatically - plus from the tests, etc. dedicated is better image quality and of course has AF.......without the Chinese, MF use, would really be a commercial non-starter, for most

If Nikon think that the market is commercially worthwhile and decide to develop a range of lenses to suit, I feel that they will come into the market with their own lens mount and range of lenses............they are best equipped to produce a comprehensive lens range and 3rd parties will then follow

I am waiting for that day, and as a Nikon fan will "jump ship" from Panasonic immediately, (even blindly).............for maybe the Pentax sized Nikon that will emerge.
    (compare the quality of the D300, button and functionally layout with the G1 or whatever - Nikon have years of experience) and I do not want my M4/3 cam to be any smaller than the current range)

With the plus that some of the best, (and well priced), legacy glass is Nikkor SLR and RF stuff.

Will it happen - no idea - the Japanese do not move that quickly until they are sure................but I feel sure that Nikon are watching

Just may views

4. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    As a former D700 owner there are a few things I miss

The focussing system, best I have used, high res LCD giving good feedback on images, and the low noise sensor. I think the difference between noise in 4/3 and APS sensors is neglible now, hower that D3S has moved the game on.
    Give me that sensor in a small package and I am there

What I couldn't live with was the size and weight of the 700 once you go portable., I like to carry my kit on the bike hence weight/size is a factor.

One of Oly's master strokes IMO was IBIS, thus enabling lenses to be kept compact.

I like fast glass, but fast glass is big, and that doesn 't go with M4/3 concept of small and light so I see me running two systems for a while yet.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Phil

One thing that Pany/Oly could look at is the way that Nikon uses the buttons and camera controls, etc., etc.,..........plus a one button event for manual focusing would be good

The buttons and wheel on the G1 are just too small for me plus the quality of the movement/action of those controls is not great

I used my D300 yesterday and I just noticed the superior build quality and design of the D300 ........... it is something that can be sorted on M4/3 and at the (high) prices they are charging for bodies and lenses, (how much does the GH1 and EP-2 now cost?), it should be

Grab an F, F2, F3, FA or D300 and you will feel what I mean..... but as you can tell I am a Nikon devotee

(PS: if I could afford a D700, plus the additional odd bit of glass - I would buy one)

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Heh, I am waiting, too.. either Nikon or Canon, to do it. Not to jump ship from Panasonic, as I feel my GF1+20 combo has a worthwhile size advantage to me, but for my main DSLR rig. I love the K7, and very much considered switching. But to be honest, I worry about Pentax's future. And Canikon's sensors seem better still (though the K-x seems to close that gap even further)

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Rumour has it that Nikon is considering a camera with an even smaller sensor than 4/3s, if that's true, then it's going to make most arguments about sensor size somewhat moot. It will also give Nikon a potentially much smaller interchangeable lens camera. Who knows what Canon is thinking, maybe they consider this is all a flash in the pan and even if it isn't, they can enter at any time and take over anyway.

In terms of controls etc, being an OLympus 4/3s user from way back, I find the controls easy and fast to use. One press of the OK button and I can change things at will. That said, the current bodies aren't intended to be fully professional bodies, so they are not designed for rapid use, maybe a pro body will come out to address some concerns. As for build, I find the Pens very solid and comfortable in the hand. Not ever having held a GF1, I can't comment on the differences.

Cheers

Ray

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i was only a matter of time before this development ,

i hope sigma make manual focus friendly af lenses that are fast and affordable

9. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    I doubt they'll go M4/3, the other companies have too much invested in them.

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    They've been quoted to be interested in producing m4/3rds lenses... it's logical that they'd entertain an m4/3rds body too.

Cheers

Brian

11. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't think so. Canon and Nikon along with Pentax and Sony won't like that.

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    What mount do you think they'd use for an EVIL cam then?

Cheers

Brian

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    When I worked as a PJ, all my SLR's were Nikon F4s they were fast (for their time) and produced some wonderful images - some that hung in the Pentagon.

When I moved to digital I turned to Canon as I believed they were the market leaders at the time, now, there is very little to choose between the two as both offer a range of cameras and lenses to cover 90% of market requirements.

We have seen many changes over the past 5yrs in digital SLR's, especially from the Canikon brands - now, we have an increasing interest in smaller lighter cameras with DSLR capabilities/IQ as people do not want to lug heavy cameras & lenses around with them, the big boys are watching and listening and I suspect they are weighing up their options.

Do they want to buy into the Micro 4/3rds family and benefit from the experiences of the Oly/Panasonic relationship, or do they branch out on their own and produce yet another small sized APS-C camera that will probably have to face the likes of Samsung/Sony/Fuji/Pentax/Kodak and a few other possible challengers for the crown of APS-C small bodied camera with inter changeable lenses.

Time will tell and I suspect 2010 will reveal more contenders with prototypes nearing completion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    Sigma.

15. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't know - seems to me that if they're making 4/3rds lenses... limiting their body to a Sigma mount would be limiting.

Cheers

Brian

16. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    Couldn't you say the same about the current lens lineup?

The Sigma mount only has lenses made from them.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Sigma have nothing to lose by making a m4/3s body and appropriate lenses. They will still have the capacity to make lenses for any other format that comes out. But on that score, if the registration distances of the Sony, Samsung, Sigma, Nikon etc are all going to be different, then they'd be better off sticking to a format that is at least currently well established.

Sigma will also have to completely reverse engineer each system so that they can accommodate the different focussing systems etc that they will have and, whilst they have experience in this, it's not a trivial task. With m4/3s, there's no guessing at all. Going m4/3s would also give them a reasonably sized user base with the potential to really grow, with the others, it's going to be a complete unknown.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  18. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    What they can do and what they will do are very different.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  20. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I would love to see some of Sigma's four thirds lenses in the micro four thirds market. 24 1.8, 30 1.4, 50 1.4. These would be a great addition to the family.