Sigma hires a 5 year old to design new camera!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by speedandstyle, Feb 10, 2014.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I keep checking the calendar to see if today is April 1st...

• Like Like x 2
  3. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    That got to be the ugliest camera .

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Honestly, it's ridiculous Sigma makes you buy separate cameras for separate lenses. Just make an MILC already. It's not like there will be additional R&D since they can just use the existing 19mm, 30mm & 60mm DN designs. On top of that, they will probably attract more photographers to the Foveon sensor by letting people adapt lenses to a Foveon mirrorless body.

5. speedandstyle

Not sure it is THE ugliest but it is in the top 10 for sure. It reminds me of some of the crazy 80s and 90s point and shoot cameras. I remember last year when people went off on the somewhat ugly Nikon V2 but it is sexy compared to this thing.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Sigma does make an interchangeable lens SLR. I'm very happy they went with a fix lens perfectly matched to the sensor in the DP series. If they do ILC, they need to do it in addition to these fix lens cameras, which many of us grew up on and love. I do hope, however, that with the advent of the above monstrosity, they do not ditch the Merrill line of DP's. I like the black box camera concept. A black box that contains a photosensitive medium. At least the Pentax K01 had the benefit of being a box. I suspect, ugly as it is, I'd have like it if I'd ever shot with it.

Bring back the black box! And don't you dare make the DP line into ILC!

And good as the 19, 30 and 60 Sigmas are, they don't begin to compare with the lens in the DP2 Merril

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They must be trying to emulate Pentax.

k-0120group0220lr-11068241.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    looks like my first camera, the fisher price 110 on it's side.

9. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Mary Shelley, is that you?

My old DP1 is beautiful compared to this monster.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, at least it's different! I quite like it.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I dunno. It's weird, but it may actually be comfortable to hold and operate. If you have all three, they should slot in nicely in a small bag, grip up.

12. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Probably got a very personality though :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    OK, I'm the odd one out here... I like it.

One of my biggest gripes with small cameras is that it is almost impossible to adjust buttons while shooting. Your fingers are just too close to your face, so you move your eye off the viewfinder while trying to find buttons. This design keeps your hand away from your face.

It looks like the grip will be useful, I like the thumb knob thing. The camera will probably feel smaller than it looks here.

Collectible cult classic for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    You're looking at it all wrong. It's designed to have the perfect hand grip for selfies...

• Like Like x 3
  15. PENasonic

PENasonic Mu-43 Regular

LOL..and that's why it had no articulating screen display .

16. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    5yr old my 20 month old draws a much nicer camera, but she is very interested in photography and likes nothing more than looking through one of the Magnum books.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe I'm just being oversensitive, but I suspect that the title of this thread implies something negative about the styling of this camera.

• Like Like x 3
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I am sure a lot of people will hate this design, but I happen to like it. It's original. I suspect that it will be more comfortable to hold than some thought... I just don't think it will work very well if it is matched with any larger lenses.

Having said that, I echo what Jonathan said. Sigma should at least give us 3 prime lenses - the 19mm, 30mm, and 50mm - interchangeable on this camera instead...

19. speedandstyle

At least Pentax gave you color options! So it could be ugly and gaudy at the same time.

You would be right!

Hum! So the camera was designed with the cooperation of Facebook then?

Of that I am no doubt - great lens, sensor and probably all other components but packaged in hideousness.

20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The layout is... interesting. Though I'm a little more weirded out by the fact that Sigma expects people to have all 3 for different occasions.