SIGMA fp - 'world’s smallest' full-frame mirrorless camera

Real Name
Jim R
That video hurts my head. It's an ..interesting camera with some nice features and odd ergonomics, which only Sigma or Pentax seem willing to try. Price will definitely be beyond me in any case, especially since my manual lenses would be happier on a K-1 variant.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Bold move - no EVF and rear screen neither tilts nor swivels. Personally that kills it for me. Every shot would be a "holding a stinking diaper/nappy" moment. I'm probably not target market though.
If you look at some of the marketing photos, it's kind of designed to be modular. I don't think they expect it to be used "naked" for most things.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Here's for you bird hunters:

:laugh1:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I actually like the idea of reducing the camera down to as minimal as possible. It's light you are trying to catch, not electrons and silicon.
For a camera, I think ergonomics and handling are still very important even though they're not directly in the path of converting light to an image. In fact, alhough I prefer a small camera/system size, if I had to choose between that Sigma and the S1 I'd have to opt for the S1 for its superior ergonomics. I just feel like I could get more practical use from it, as well as enjoyment. Just my opinion.

For a camera, I think ergonomics and handling are still very important even though they're not directly in the path of converting light to an image. In fact, alhough I prefer a small camera/system size, if I had to choose between that Sigma and the S1 I'd have to opt for the S1 for its superior ergonomics. I just feel like I could get more practical use from it, as well as enjoyment. Just my opinion.
But this could allow someone to create a very specific setup for their unique use. The camera would be getting out of the way.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Now they just need to make a nice big ergonomic pistol grip, a la the bolt-ons for boxy medium format cams of yore:

Heck, I suppose you could use one of the ones already out there, given the modular tripod-thread-centric design. Probably pick one up for a few bones on eBay...

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
It’s cool. I like it.
Pair it with a couple of nice sigma primes, and a little travel tripod. I’d be all over it like a rash...

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sigma is missing a trick here. They should develop a phone module for it, running Android. That would then make it a FF phone.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Sigma is clearly targeting the video market with this camera.

Personally i would liked to see tiltable or flip out screen, built in evf or hotshoe on the camera for external evf, sensor stabilisation and PDAF.

Guess we will see many small lenses like the upcoming 45mm f2.8 in the future.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
If you're buying it with the expectation of "building" a customized camera around it via grip, finder, cage, etc then yeah, the small size makes sense.
Sigma is clearly targeting the video market with this camera.

Personally i would liked to see tiltable or flip out screen, built in evf or hotshoe on the camera for external evf, sensor stabilisation and PDAF.
Yes, me too. The small size and limited features makes sense if you're going to be outfitting it with a variety of attachments and end up with a larger package. But for someone who would like to have a compact 135 format sensor for typical stills shooting, the fp outfitted with a grip, hotshoe and EVF would probably be quite bulky or certainly no better than other mirrorless 135 format options. But I'm not complaining. This camera is obviously not aimed at your average photographer.

Top Bottom