Sigma fp outsells Sony, Canon and Nikon at two of Japan's major camera stores

Real Name
Amol
Wow, some interesting candidates there like Nikon D5600 :S but not A7R III. Anyway, if Sigma can produce small lenses like the 45mm this whole thing can be pretty incredible travel/street cam.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The new kid on the block usually sells like hotcakes right after release. It's also probably attracting a lot more video shooters than the competition.

Let's see how sales stack up after a year or two.

P.S. The E-M10 mkIII made #9 out of the top 10. Take that m43 haters! :whistling:

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
The new kid (Sigma fp) has done exactly what Olympus did to 35mm film cameras, make a small, sturdy camera with great glass and good ergonomics, the OM1.
To be honest I think/wish that olympus would go FF but make it a serious image machine and forget about video. Keep it small and with the buttons in the right places, the fp has shown it can be done. The power lies in the sensor and the software, as seen by the strides phones are making.
If Olympus stretched to that I would buy one straight away.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
“The Sigma fp's performance in outselling so many bigger and better established cameras”

What I find remarkable is where did Sigma ever find the manufacturing capacity and established sourcing pipeline to out sell (out produce) the top three. You need to plan and facilitize/invest for volume like this.

I love the camera but I believe I’ll take this with a grain of salt.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
What I find remarkable is where did Sigma ever find the manufacturing capacity and established sourcing pipeline to out sell (out produce) the top three. You need to plan and facilitize/invest for volume like this.
Unless I'm mistaken, outselling and out producing are not the same thing, particularly at two stores during one month.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
Unless I'm mistaken, outselling and out producing are not the same thing, particularly at two stores during one month.
You're not mistaken. But they still had to plan production, and commit inventory, for volumes that would outsell Sony, Nikon and Canon. That's more than a bit of a stretch. Production and sourcing departments ignore sales forecasts like that. Let alone the fact they would have needed a lot of planning horizon to get there.

Either the big three had a lousy month or I’ll continue to take this one with a grain of salt.

I'm interested in the fp as a partner/replacement to my GM1. So I’m wishing Sigma succeeds with it.

Using a loupe on a camera that doesn't have an actual EVF isn't a new thing. I think some people actually use loupes on cameras with EVFs. If you can't shoot without an EVF, then this camera isn't for you.

That being said, I wonder if Sigma could actually develop an EVF that mounts the same way the hot shoe accessory does.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Using a loupe on a camera that doesn't have an actual EVF isn't a new thing. I think some people actually use loupes on cameras with EVFs. If you can't shoot without an EVF, then this camera isn't for you.

That being said, I wonder if Sigma could actually develop an EVF that mounts the same way the hot shoe accessory does.
I had that same thought. Or maybe a third party accessory. I do have this mental image of this small camera with all these accessories hanging off that looks like some piece of steampunk technology.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom