1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma Foveon Images

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by silver92b, May 7, 2015.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Took my DP2-M out of the bag today to take a few shots of my other camera. They came out well and I remembered how well this little camera renders images so I took it out for a walk in the 'hood ;)

These are OOC jpgs with no PP but exported with LR5. Aperture priority f2.8~f4, ISO 200 AWB, AE, AF

DP2M0757.
    DP2M0759.
    DP2M0760.
    DP2M0762.
    DP2M0763.
    DP2M0764.
    DP2M0765.

• Like Like x 2
  2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This one is the shot that inspired me to take the DP2-M out for the walk.. Cropped and PP with Perfect Suite Enhance and in LR5. The B&W is straight B&W conversion from the color shot in LR5
    Taken indoors with a tripod only available sunlight through windows .5", f4, ISO 200 AWB, AF

DP2M0748-Edit-Edit. DP2M0748.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. zethanos

zethanos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    Singapura
    ZR Li
    • Like Like x 13
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    My new dp0 (first Sigma camera), bought to supplement not replace my m43 system.

DP0Q0084.

• Like Like x 10
  5. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Please let us know how you like it. I am filled with serious dp0 Q lust. I know it doesn't have the best dynamic range, but it costs less than the Loxia 21mm/2.8 lens by itself, and then I'd need to get a $3200 A7r II to match the image quality.

It seems like the absolute perfect supplement to another system for a landscape enthusiast...

7. zethanos

zethanos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    Singapura
    ZR Li
  8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I wouldn't want to say anything that might cost you money! :)

Regarding dynamic range, we see different reports. Ming Thein reviewed the dp2 Quattro earlier this year and wrote: "the files are really quite addictive, and also have quite a bit of dynamic range and post-processing latitude. That said, when either end of the tonal scale goes, it doesn’t go in a nice way: highlights can clip a little abruptly, and shadows get noisy/ gritty/ muddy. But in every case, I’ve found there’s a lot more dynamic range than what I see on the back LCD would suggest."

It's too early for me to report, especially on landscape photography where I have no opportunities at the moment.

The photo that I posted above impresses me, in terms of what the camera has produced. At home on PC it is gorgeous.

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Gregory Simpson of ULREAsomething had a series of 3 articles a while ago about using one of the Sigma Foveon cameras for black and white. He seemed to think it had some advantages for black and white work. The articles are worth checking out but Simpson is largely a street photographer with some quite strong views about photography. I really like his articles but they may not be to everyone's taste.

He also ran a series of articles on developing film in a developer based on coffee a while ago if you really want to get adventurous.

10. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    • Like Like x 1
  11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    No that's not me. But ya made me look!

12. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    • Like Like x 10
  13. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    • Like Like x 3
  14. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know about the other Sigma cameras, but the DP2-M definitely produces "addictive" images. But..... it's not a forgiving camera and definitely inconvenient to use. Also, although the files have latitude for PP, I find that using the Proprietary Sigma Photo Pro is a pain in the butt. Having said that, I have produced some sensational images with it. These days I use the M240 almost exclusively. I get great images more consistently and the DNG files are very easy to work with in LR5 and various other plug ins.

15. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    Could this be connected to the typical light in the reporters locations? Foveons have the reputation of nosediving in performance in bad light, I think?

16. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    Great photo! And interesting camera list.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I've been tempted to unload a couple cameras but can't seem to let go

18. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    Every time I see pictures from a Sigma I'm tempted to buy one. This time I need something for outdoor and indoor flash work in the UK, so it might make sense. It has a leaf shutter and the high ISO performance has to be irrelevant, I don't need to shoot fast. People are all over the place about the ergos but I can make a GM1 work for me...

Otoh, I wonder if some cameras flickr streams look good as much because of the type of people who buy the cameras as because of the hardware - Fuji X100, Ricoh GR and the Sigmas especially. I suspect they're all bought either by fanatics or poseurs. The poseurs won't shoot enough to pull the quality down and the fanatics will go crazy working around a camera's weaknesses and playing to it's strengths.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I know, right? I don't think there's any other camera that makes me feel quite the same way. Full frame is nice and all, but there's kind of a vanilla sameness that arises after seeing so much smooth bokeh. A well composed Foveon image just sings to me...

20. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    The GM1 is fun to use and very convenient. I won't be unloading mine any time soon. The DP2M is a great camera and I don't find it difficult to use. Once you understand its quirks, you'll find it useable in many situations that it supposedly can't be used for. Here's a pic of a guy doing a flip over 5 people on the Chicago streets. Everyone knows you can't take action photos with a DP2M:yahoo:

9469092325_5645f4f785_b. street flip by Michael Wolf, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4