Sigma Fisheye

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sparrowhawk360, Nov 20, 2010.

1. sparrowhawk360

sparrowhawk360 New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2010
    I have a Sigma 8mm Fisheye with a Nikon Mount. It's a bit of
    a beast...
    8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye - Fisheye Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Normally, I use the Sigma on a Nikon D200 but was wondering
    if there was an adapter to allow use on my Lumix GF1 and if anyone had any recommendations?

Many thanks :smile:
    Looking forward to your input.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Let me google that for you

I would be more concerned that it's a circular fisheye and what the image circle will be and what output to expect. My guess is it will end up as a round corner square

3. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    There are Nikon to m43 adapters out there, and pretty much any of them ought to allow you to attach. At 8mm, the Sigma fisheye should fill the frame, so the effect would be similar to that of a (so-called) full-frame fisheye, i.e. a 16mm fish on a 35mm camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

sparrowhawk360, let me give you an "unofficial" welcome here to the forums where I hope you'll find yourself at home very soon.:biggrin: Perhaps, when you have the time, you can stop by over in the Welcomes and introductions forum and say hello.

I hope the members here who are into adapted lenses will lend you a hand!:wink:

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    @~tc~ I know it's tempting to use LMGTFY, but in this case the question is complicated because not all Nikon mounts are alike and aperture setting may be a problem with this lens ... so just googling for a Nikon adapter will probably not give the exact answer the OP needs, or could easily "lead them up the garden path" to buying something that won't be any good

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Even if that were not the case, not all adapters are of equal quality, and our new member was asking for our recommendations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    This is right. I don't know much about Nikon mounts, but I have the Siggy for Canon EF mount. To use this on m43, you'd have to set the desired aperture on an EOS camera, push the DOF preview, and then turn the camera off. Since the EF spec. is all electronic, this leaves the aperture at whatever setting you chose. For me on my Canon cameras, f5.6 has been fine, but it is noticeably softer by f11, likely due to diffraction.

Hope this helps, Sean

8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Is there a list of recommended adapters ? Perhaps those in the know could compile one.

9. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No, he asked

I have been a mod on forums before, and if you don't set the expectations that people do some level of basic research before posting, it's not long before the "search noob" Nazis are out in force.

If he had said, "I see novoflex, rainbow Imaging, and some no name ones on eBay are available and the price varies wildly, does it make any sense to buy the more expensive one" it would be a different story, but, alas, that's not what he asked. He asked if one existed. Yes, several exist - next?

11. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Sometimes it's worth making allowances that not everyone asks questions in the same way we might ourselves ... you've spelled out reasons for responding as you did, but the OP might have found it helpful to have them spelled out as a first response ...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You left out an important part (bolded):

The primary expectation in this forum is that members are nice to one another. "'Search noob' Nazis" will be shown the door.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sparrowhawk360

Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks everyone for taking time to respond and offer advice and welcome me to the forums.

I do realise that there are adapters by Panasonic, Olympus and 3rd parties which allow connection of non MFT lenses into the MFT cameras. It would be reassuring to find someone with that exact Sigma/Nikon Mount who had used it successfully on a M43 with an adapter.

My caution also stems from the fact that I brought my Lumix GF1 and Sigma Fisheye into a camera store twice and was told by two different assistants on two seperate occasions that the Sigma lens and Lumix GF1 were incompatible.

What I hope to do is pop into a different camera store with my gear and actually ask them if I could try to attach the two in-store with one of their adapters.

Will post back and let you know how I get on. Hopefully if it works, I can add the details to the adapter database / wiki too :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  14. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Hmm, camera store assistants! If only there was a rule that working in a camera shop required knowledge and experience. Probably too much to hope for.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - I have yet to see any adapters (for anything, let alone m43) in any camera store. No surprise the salesperson didn't know what you were talking about.

16. sparrowhawk360

Nov 20, 2010
    Quick update. I emailed a number of vendors and they have pointed me to suitable products. However, I've decided to invest in a Panasonic 8mm Fieheye instead of adapting my Sigma. Granted it's going to be more expensive but weight is an issue with the Sigma when I combine this in my backpack with a tripod, pano head, leveller, rotator etc. Hope to upload some images soon.

17. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I should have known from the "360" in your name that you were into panoramics - that's one of my hobbies too (there's a few examples at the link in my sig.). I'd be interested to know how the 8mm Panasonic fares, especially if there's enough coverage on a 4/3 sensor for four around + zenith ?

18. sparrowhawk360

Nov 20, 2010
    Hi Sparkin
    Nice panoramics there.
    Hoping to pickup the lens next week so I'll have examples as soon as get the nodal point down etc :smile:
    I reckon the best approach will be 4 around at a sligh 5 or 10 degree angle upwards and then a seperate nadir.

19. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Yes, that would probably work well. I tend to rely on cloning to deal with the nadir. I'm looking forward to seeing some examples.

20. sparrowhawk360

Nov 20, 2010
    Hi Sparkin

I've put together a 360 degree image using the Panasonic Fisheye lens.
    The 360 Company - St James' Church - Great Ormside
    Will probably take another pass at this image but it gives you an idea.
    The lens is so tiny and light, its very easy to stick this, a tripod, camera and pano head in a bag and hit the road.

By the way, the website linked above has just been relaunched and some of the other Panos are not fully ported across so you might encounter some bugs on the other photos. Feel free to leave a comment on our blog. I'm testing the commenting function at the mo.