Sigma Fast Zoom

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tjdean01, Dec 5, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Now that the Sigma 18-35 is out, I can see people running out and buying an APS-C DSLR body just to be able to use it. This really is impressive! Dpreview likes the lens.

Were they to make this for Micro Four Thirds it would great. Guess what lenses I would no longer need? Not many of them! I'm not sure it would be a 1.8 though.

My question is, however, what cameras does this fit on? I can't really adapt it (nor would I want to. To me the trade-off for for weight, size, and no AF is price). It won't fit on the Sony NEX, right? What about that Nikon 1 Austin Kucher POS?

I mean the lens looks great. But I'm not about to buy a Nikon or Canon DSLR. Ever. If I did it would be full frame.
  2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

It doesn't fit the NEX per say, but does come in a Sony/Minolta A mount.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The lens is an APS-C DSLR lens, so it will only fit on APS-C DSLRs (natively). It's available in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma and Sony (Alpha) mounts.

It is a fairly sizable lens though, so I'm not sure the absolute smallest DSLR makes sense. And if you go to full-frame, well, a standard 28-70/2.8 will be smaller, cheaper, cover the same range and then some, have equally shallow DoF, and be just as good in low light.
  4. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Speed booster?
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would be a giant 13-24mm f/1.3 MF when speed boosted. Not sure why that would be more attractive than the native 12-35/12-40 f/2.8s or one of the excellent 4/3 standard zooms which still retain AF.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If I had excess dough, I'd seriously consider buying a used Nikon DSLR just to be able to use that lens. It looks amazing.

I also sort of miss the earlier Nikons, like the ccd-sensored D40/50/80/90, with that lens it would sure be a fun diversion!
  7. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    for night sky photographers, it's a huge deal, I suspect. And for wedding photographers with aps-c bodies.
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It should work on a Nikon 1 with the Nikon adaptor. It even has AF although it is limited to spot and is slow from what I understand. Of coarse with the crop factor it would be a standard to tele zoom instead of a wide to standard.
  9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    indeed - just use a 43rds 14-35/2
  10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Before this thing was released (in the "rumours" phase), I was afraid I'd be tempted to run out and buy a cropper DSLR (was shooting full frame Canon at the time) just for this lens. But...when it came out, I realized it's an absolute beast.

Very cool lens, and I applaud Sigma for making a hyper-fast zoom that seems to perform well optically. But...I travel a LOT...I need small and light, two things this lens isn't! :D
  11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have been looking at this lens and considering what body would be best. I am considering a Pentax K3 + the Sigma zoom. Having said that, I really need to consider whether this is GAS or a worthy contender. The lens seems great and the K3 with selectable AAA filter (now with bracketing) would produce great images, no doubt.