1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma DP2 Merrill Versus Olympus E-M5 + Pana 12-35mm OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dtakias, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have been using M43 equipment the last 2 years and have gone through many bodies and lenses.

Today, my friend Marc, introduced me to the new Sigma DP2M camera. This beast costs £800, it's using a fixed prime lens and weighs around 330g without the battery, also has no EVF, not good ISO performance bla bla bla BUT the performance is completely out of this world!!!

Check out those two shots, one taken with the DP2M and the second OMD+12-35mm. The DP2M has destroyed the OMD completely and made it look like a toy camera...:eek:

_SDI0036.jpg photo - Carl Schofield photos at pbase.com
    _A220622.jpg photo - Carl Schofield photos at pbase.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    Happy for this thread to be moved into the Olympus Camera section, if it makes more sense.

3. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    Price of the DP2M = £800
    Price of the OMD+12-35mm = ~ £1400+

4. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    It's one of the great disappointments of digital photography that one of the least-competent camera makers owns the finest imaging sensors ever made.

Just imagine what an E-M5 with a 4/3-sized Foveon sensor would be like...

• Like Like x 7
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As a Sigma DP2 owner,
    The image IQ of the DP2 Merrill comes as no surprise to me...:wink:

6. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    This little camera has trashed the D800E in comparison shots if you look over here...

It makes me wonder if I should sell some of my M43 equipment and get one of these? I know it's missing many things but at the end of the day the quality of the image is what counts and the detail on this is just amazing...

Plus it looks like a £30 cheap camera and nobody will probably bother you while shooting with it... ;)

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Ironic isn't it?

Although it seems like Foveon would be a tough sensor to work with by any manufacturer. But the ceiling is so higher than anything else out there.

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Whew, that's intense... the Sigma image is so detailed that the hair on the leaves looks like noise in the image at first glance :eek:

9. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    a better comparison would be with a non-zoom on the E-M5, like the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 or Pan-Leica 25mm 1.4.

Kit lenses have never been able to compete with fixed focal length lenses.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am really tempted to pick one of these up when the 19mm is released.

It would be really interesting to see how the DP1M would stack up versus the NEX-7 and 19mm (what I have in the bag, in addition to my E-M5, at the moment). The NEX+19 gives you a viewfinder, tilt screen and faster operation/AF, etc, for $400 more. I read a review somewhere, that said the SD1M (same sensor, is my understanding) had roughly the equivalent resolution as the NEX-7.

If all that matters is IQ and you won't miss the speed, stability, battery life, excellent interchangeable lenses (and better primes), and third-party RAW support of m4/3, then by all means switch! :biggrin: For me, it seems like a great companion to me m4/3 system (won't take up much more room in the bag than a m4/3 lens).

11. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
  12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The 12-35 isn't a kit lens, yet. It's pretty dang sharp in comparison to my primes, I don't find it lacking much.

Those Sigmas are cool for limited applications. Too bad the ISO performance is so lousy. Wouldn't work to well for what I want out of a camera.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can't wait to see the Amazon Marketplace flooded with these after a bunch of pixel peeper camera n00bs buy them based on shots like this and then they realize how difficult this camera is to use for everyday photography. I'll definitely be picking up one of these used around Christmas.

14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It's not a kit lens, that OM-D EM-5 photo was taken with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom. That's a $1200 lens with very high quality, and it's very close to many of the m4/3 prime lenses in IQ/sharpness.

I'll agree that comparing a zoom lens is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison to a camera with a fixed lens camera designed for the sensor, but then we're comparing two totally different types of sensors here anyway. The Sigma's greatest strength is in resolution and detail at low ISO, which this sample demonstrates.

15. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I must admit that my initial reaction was to drop the 12-35 lens from my wishlist....probably not fair, but then it was beyond my price pain threshold anyway.

16. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I had the DP1, I am sure that likewise this new cam will be a fantastic landscape camera when you can see the screen. It seems the new one can mount filters. Having to use Sigma PP software is also pretty painful as its one image at a time and every single one needed work IME because of green cast and god awful white balance. X3 fill light was pretty impressive though. If I could have every camera I like for a specific purpose I would have one but I can't afford to do that so won't.

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I tell ya what, since I got my 12-35 a week ago, it hasn't left the camera other than for some low-light stuff where I brought the PL25 out. I'm extremely impressed with this lens. Aren't too many of us using it yet but the results are already coming in from it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Hear hear!

19. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Not apples to apples...

The magnification is different...the exposure is slightly different...(E-M5 a tad over-exposed)...the depth of field is different (the Sigma deeper giving an apparent feel of better sharpness). Each of the variables gives a sense of the Sigma being better.

The DP2 may be better, but this comparison isn't a good direct "apples to apples" comparison.

Don't get all upset just yet. Look more closely. I think you will see what I mean.

Dan

20. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yeah, but for that price it ought to resolve to the molecular level! ;-)