1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma DL Supermacro 70-300mm F4 at OAK

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RobWatson, Jun 24, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hanging out at the south end of the North Field strip at OAK watching the planes come in. All shot with zoom at ~150mm ... fun time trying to focus and track the landing planes.

There are quite a number of birds flying around as well ...
    Gull1.

Single props were the hardest as they all seemed to come in low and only spotted with about 45 seconds window to shoot.
    Singleprop.

I always say more is better so if one prop is nice then two are better!
    TwinProp.

Smaller jet engine planes also use the North Field strip ... somehow I'm pretty sure the pilot is not actually waving at me but fiddling with instruments or controls.
    JetWave.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Rob,

I noticed that you have Image Editing Okay turned on. I think you're somewhat under exposed, and I wanted to do some quick post on one pf your images... hope you don't mind..

Alan

Before....

TwinProp.

After. Increased exposure. NIK Define / NIK Color EFX pro contrast

TwinProp_Edit_for_RW.

• Like Like x 3
  3. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Try using Auto Focus Continuous (If you did not).

I was photographing arrivals at SAN last week and was shooting AFC + Burst Mode. When combined with panning, and a decent shutter speed, you will be able to obtain a lot of keepers.

P1050472.

It's nice to see somebody capture something other than flora, fauna and landscapes (Not that I do not appreciate all of the above).

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Memory is a funny thing! I remember the sky as being fairly well represented by that as seen in the photo of the gull. After Alan's suggestions I went back out the next day just stared at the sky (approximately the same time of day). The only real difference between the two days is there was maybe a bit more hazy and some thin fog was beginning to come in.

The location of the gull was almost 70 degrees altitude and the sky was much bluer there compared to the angle and direction from which the planes were approaching the runway. The sky in the direction of the approaching planes is much lighter than I recall (so was the sky in the location of the gull). The apparent brightness of the sky matches very well with he rendering provided by Alan - if anything even a bit lighter.

There was quite a span of time between planes and I recall spending ~1/3 of the time looking towards the sun watching planes take off and ~1/3 of the time looking around behind me (again towards the sun) as I was expecting TSA or the sheriff to come by and see what I was doing loitering at the end of the runway. So, basically, my eyes were adapted to looking towards the sun or most of the time and while I did work on the planes there was a fair amount of reflection/glare from the sun off the LCD and I'm sure the shiny silver finish of the camera didn't help in this respect.

I had several minutes of the oddest feeling standing there thinking how well the photo had reinforced my skewed memory and yet there the sky was insisting it was actually not the color I thought it was. Right about then the sheriff did come by so I took my leave. He had the bluest eyes I'd ever seen ... I think they were blue. He would not consent to being photographed.

• Like Like x 1